Post Thanks / Like

Question Please Check This Really Short Essay?

In the story Oedipus Rex written by Sophocles, there is a mysterious man who was seen by a prophet to have a horrible fate. He is first blinded by the truth, that he didn't see what the prophet had seen was coming true, until he had solved three riddles that have been told to him.
    The first riddle was given to Oedipus by the Sphinx. “You saved us from the Sphinx, that flinty singer” (prologue 38-39). Because he solved the riddle correctly, he saved the town from being destroyed. Therefore, this had led him to his kingship.
    The second riddle was given to him by the oracle. If he solved this riddle then the plague in the town would be destroyed, and once again he would be a hero to the people. The riddle he had to solve was who had been the murderer of the previous king, Laius. “He was murdered; and Apollo commands us now to take revenge upon whoever killed him” (prologue 110-11).
    The third riddle was given to him by Teiresias. He asked Oedipus a simple but difficult question, who were his parents. He didn't know what he was asking, because he knew who his parents were. Then he started thinking about it and realized he didn't know who his real parents were. “The song they sang when you came here to Thebes and found your misguided berthing” (1.412-13). Then he was told by his wife that her son was killed because of a prophecy. Later she told him about the murder of the king, and that Oedipus sort of looked like the murdered king Laius. Then a messenger came and told him that he was his wife's child. Another messenger later came and told him that his wife who was his mother had taken her life.
    He had realized the prophet had come true. He had killed his father and married his mother. All three of the riddles resulted in him finding his fate. The result of the first riddle made him marry his mother. The second and third riddles resulted in him finding out that the prophecy was true. He was the one who murdered his father and he also married his mother.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Please Check This Really Short Essay?

story Oedipus Rex- isn't it a play?
    that he didn't see- as
    that have - had
    this had led - this led to his being crowned
    Therefore, this had led him to his kingship. - one sentence paragraph- should be incorporated into the previous one
    question,- question:
    who were his parents- who his parents were
    berthing- spelling
    her son was killed- had been
    sort of looked- I'd delete 'sort of'
    wife who was- wife was
    prophet had- prophecy