Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello. I'm a foreigner and i myself had a writing practice. Your help would be very much appreciated :)

Topic: You are the president of the Creative Writing Society at your school. Your school principal has asked you to give a speech at the next school assembly about the pleasure and benefits of writing short stories. Write the speech.

Good morning everyone. I’m Chris Wong, the president of the Creative Writing Society. Today, I’m pleased to have an invaluable opportunity to stand here and share with you the pleasure of writing.

Well, you may think, ‘Hey! Is this guy mad? In no way are “writing” and “pleasure” related!’ I understand that tons of schoolwork has turned composition into a bitter pill to swallow. However, if you can write at will, write without any constraints or assigned topics, you’ll undoubtedly find the joy of writing.

So, how should we start off? I’m not sure if you’ve ever read Shakespeare’s novels, but you’ve definitely read J.K. Rowling’s “Harry Potter” series. How about writing some short stories? Maybe it paves the way for the rise of the next J.K. Rowling!

Writing short stories is very flexible. You may choose any topics you want, be it friendship or family issue. Short stories can also play a part in helping you vent your grievances. Jumping out of reality, you can become imaginative and create your own, secret world. Power of pens is beyond your imagination. You’re not only a writer, but also a director, or even God who livens up the characters in the stories.

In the process of writing short stories, language skills are put into full use. We can feel that our hard work during study eventually pays off. Sometimes devising a special plot or working out an ending can be frustrating to the core. However, provided you come up with some awesome ideas, the sense of accomplishment obtained is invaluable. With my own experience, I can assure you that writing short stories is more glitter than gloom, enjoyment rather than torture.

Do you want to boost your score in English exams? Try writing short stories --- it works! I’ve enjoyed some added bonus of writing short stories after joining the Creative Writing Society two years ago. I had my English score skyrocketed, as well as my teacher been stunned. Of course, it’s just one of the benefits of writing short stories. The others are left for you to explore.

Rome wasn’t built in a day. Short stories are perfect for beginners to work on. With practice, we can even try writing long ones. Composition at school will then become a piece of cake. Exciting, right? Let’s pick our pens up and start writing short stories! Thank you.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Welcome to Using English.

I'm sorry, but we can't help you correct until you have given the speech in your class. After that, if your teacher has comments you don't understand, let us know.

dsecomposition

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Welcome to Using English.

I'm sorry, but we can't help you correct until you have given the speech in your class. After that, if your teacher has comments you don't understand, let us know.
But I'm not going to hand it in...

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Where will you give your speech? Will it be graded?

dsecomposition

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
No. Just a kind of extra self-practice. I don't think my teacher will have time marking it for me.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello. I'm a foreigner and i myself had a writing practice. Your help would be very much appreciated :)

Topic: You are the president of the Creative Writing Society at your school. Your school principal has asked you to give a speech at the next school assembly about the pleasure and benefits of writing short stories. Write the speech.

Good morning everyone. I’m Chris Wong, the president of the Creative Writing Society. Today, I’m pleased to have an invaluable opportunity to stand here and share with you the pleasure of writing.

Well, you may think, ‘Hey! Is this guy mad? In no way are “writing” and “pleasure” related!’ I understand that tons of schoolwork has turned composition into a bitter pill to swallow. However, if you can write at will, write without any constraints or assigned topics, you’ll undoubtedly find the joy of writing.

So, how should we start off? I’m not sure if you’ve ever read Shakespeare’s novels (Did he write any novels?), but you’ve definitely read J.K. Rowling’s “Harry Potter” series. How about writing some short stories? Maybe it[STRIKE] paves [/STRIKE] will pave the way for the rise of the next J.K. Rowling!

Writing short stories is very flexible. You may choose any [STRIKE]topics [/STRIKE] topic you want, be it friendship or family issues. Short stories can also play a part in helping you vent your grievances. Jumping out of reality, you can become imaginative and create your own, secret world. The power of [STRIKE]pens [/STRIKE] the pen is beyond [STRIKE]your [/STRIKE] (Don't use "your" as it is almost insulting. The members of the audience may have great imaginations and you have no way of knowing that) imagination. You’re not only a writer, but also a director, or even God (This is rather complex and tied to the culture but I would use "a god") who livens up the characters in the stories.

In the process of writing short stories, language skills are put into full use. We can feel that our hard work during study eventually pays off. Sometimes devising a special plot or working out an ending can be frustrating to the core. However, provided you come up with some awesome ideas, the sense of accomplishment obtained is invaluable. With my own experience, I can assure you that writing short stories is more glitter than gloom, enjoyment rather than torture.

Do you want to boost your score in English exams? Try writing short stories --- it works! I’ve enjoyed some added bonus of writing short stories after joining the Creative Writing Society two years ago. I had my English score skyrocketed, as well as my teacher [STRIKE]been [/STRIKE] being stunned. Of course, it’s just one of the benefits of writing short stories. The others are left for you to explore.

Rome wasn’t built in a day. Short stories are perfect for beginners to work on. With practice, we (Use "you" here, you are addressing an audience) can even try writing long ones. Composition at school will then become a piece of cake. Exciting, right? Let’s pick our pens up and start writing short stories! Thank you.
Nicely written.

dsecomposition

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you very much :up:!!
Yes i made a mistake. I mixed up Shakespeare and Mark Twain.
So here I have a few questions:

You may choose any topics topic you want <<< the noun behind "any" must be singular? Or is "topic" uncountable?

I had my English score skyrocketed, as well as my teacher been being stunned <<< How about saying "as well as my teacher stunned"?

Thanks a lot!!
:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.