• American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Use of Have been without Present Perfect Continuous

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    That's not strictly true. We are in agreement that unnecessary posts are unnecessary posts. We generally take the time to explain to learners that making a post to say "Thank you" (or any post which adds absolutely nothing useful to the discussion) is discouraged. To be honest, we don't really expect to have to explain it to native speakers or other teachers. I can assure you that it is just as irritating to bother opening a new post in a thread, only to find that it's another native speaker saying "I agree/You're absolutely right/That's very true". Our time could be much better spent reading/writing useful posts.

The only thing that varies from day to day is whether or not we have the time and energy to keep posting "Please don't make these unnecessary posts. Simply click on the Like button".
    I don't want to make a major deal of this, but I have seen moderators themselves post "unnecessary posts" at times. I have tried to not be a problem, but at a certain point, the rule becomes silly if it is not consistent.

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    I don't want to make a major deal of this, but I have seen moderators themselves post "unnecessary posts" at times. I have tried to not be a problem, but at a certain point, the rule becomes silly if it is not consistent.
    As ems said, "The only thing that varies from day to day is whether or not we have the time and energy to keep posting "Please don't make these unnecessary posts. Simply click on the Like button"."

This is a forum in which we try not to be too obsessive about the rules that have been created to help the forum run smoothly. However, we have limited time at our disposal, and most of us agree that opening a thread to find that it says only "Thank you" or "I agree" can be frustrating. This is why you'll find the 'Simply click on the like button' appears every day, often several times. Our hope is that the message will eventually sink in, as it usually does for our regular visitors.

We moderators do our best to observe the rules as well as remind others of them. If we occasionally make a slip ourselves, or if, through lack of time mainly, we don't always remind people of the rules, then that is simply a reminder that we are all human. We do hope that at least our regular members make some effort to follow our guidelines.
    Please do not edit your question after it has received a response. Such editing can make the response hard for others to understand.

English5 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Punjabi
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear Emsr2d2,

I have a very humble request to you that often people like me join/come on this forum for get help to correct their grammar mistakes . You should treat them politely and guide them as a teacher. If I wrote Sir in my earlier post, you commented on it but didn’t tell what I need to write instead? i assume it's takes less than 10 second to write one sentence.

Regarding my post i want to give more clarity,i read on website that “Since & For” are use in Present perfect continues tense but the below first sentence is without it.

I have been waiting all day (Unable to understand this sentence)
    She has been studding for two hours ( present perfect continuous)

Please ignore grammar or spelling mistakes if any!!

Regards,

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by English5 View Post
    Dear Emsr2d2,

I have a very humble request to you that often people like me join/come on this forum for get help to correct their grammar mistakes . You should treat them politely and guide them as a teacher. If I wrote Sir in my earlier post, you commented on it but didn’t tell what I need to write instead? i assume it's takes less than 10 second to write one sentence.
    It was Rover who first pointed out that "Sir" was incorrect, not me, but I did point out that you had for some reason added "Sir" to what had been a perfectly adequate post. You don't need to write anything instead of "Sir". You do not need to use any sort of salutation at all on this forum. No "Sir", no "Madam", no "Dear friends" etc. If you feel like it, you can start with "Hi" or something equally informal and chatty. Even "Dear Emsr2d2" is overly formal. You are not writing a letter to your bank manager. You're writing a post on a forum.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Please ignore grammar or spelling mistakes if any!!
    This is not the kind of request/order we appreciate on the forum. It is our job to help people with their English - that includes spelling, grammar, punctuation, spacing. For example, a sentence should end with a single, appropriate punctuation mark so your double exclamation mark is not correct in written English. You might think this is trivial but we don't agree.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Regarding my post, I want to give get more clarity. I read on a website that “since" and "for” are used in with the present perfect continues continuous tense but the below first sentence below is without it.

I have been waiting all day. (I am unable to understand this sentence.)
    She has been studding studying for two hours. (Present perfect continuous)

"Since" and "for" can be used with the present perfect continuous but that doesn't mean that "since" or "for" will appear in all sentences written in the present perfect continuous which also contain a time statement. We don't use it before "all" when "all" means "the entire".

I have been waiting all day = I have been waiting for the whole day.

She has been studying all morning.
    She has been studying all night.
    She has been studying all day.

She has been studying for two hours.
    She has been studying for eleven hours.
    She has been studying for a month.
    She has been studying for seventeen weeks.
    She has been studying English for two years.

She has been studying since 12 o'clock.
    She has been studying since 7am.
    She has been studying since December.
    She has been studying since the autumn.
    She has been studying English since 2011.

English5 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Punjabi
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, thank you not only for your detail answer but also to correct my post. I assume, I have learned a lot from my first post even knew how to post on forum.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, thank you not only for your detail answer but also to correct my post. I assume, I have learned a lot from my first post even knew how to post on forum.
    You are welcome. You will gain a lot from the forum if you take notice of everything posted in each response to any thread. There is a lot of information to be gleaned here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2