Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Dante2402's Avatar
    Dante2402 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Past Perfect or Past Simple

    Hello!
    I am sorry for bothering you again!
    But I need a help.
    Can I use in the following sentence "When I had done my homework yesterday, I quickly ran to the yard, because my friends were waiting for me there" the past simple?
    I mean can I say "When I did my homework yesterday, I quickly ran to the yard, because my friends were waiting for me there"?

  2. #2
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Past Perfect or Past Simple

    No. That would make it appear that the actions were simultaneous.

    You could say 'After I did/had done ...' because the word 'after' makes the sequence of events clear,

  3. #3
    Dante2402's Avatar
    Dante2402 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Past Perfect or Past Simple

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    No. That would make it appear that the actions were simultaneous.

    You could say 'After I did/had done ...' because the word 'after' makes the sequence of events clear,
    Thank you very much!

  4. #4
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,165
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Past Perfect or Past Simple

    Quote Originally Posted by Dante2402 View Post
    Thank you very much!
    Please note that you don't need to write a new post to say "Thank you". Simply click the "Like" button on any post you find helpful. This will save us all time. You don't spend time writing a new post and we don't spend time opening a thread to read a new post, only to find that it doesn't contain a follow-up question or any new information.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

  5. #5
    Dante2402's Avatar
    Dante2402 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Past Perfect or Past Simple

    I got stuck again

    Why do we use the past perfect, if there is the year (1884)?

    "In 1884 Lewis Waterman had patented the fountain pen, giving him the sole rights to manufacture it."

    The whole text: "In 1884 Lewis Waterman had patented the fountain pen, giving him the sole rights to manufacture it. This marked a significant leap forward in writing technology, but fountain pens soon became notorious for leaking. In 1888, a leather tanner named John Loud devised and patented the first 'rolling-pointed marker pen' for marking leather."

    Maybe the author tried to emphasized the order of the events.
    And can we use here past simple?

    Thank you!
    Last edited by Dante2402; 06-Jan-2014 at 16:52.

  6. #6
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,328
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Past Perfect or Past Simple

    Quote Originally Posted by Dante2402 View Post
    I got stuck again

    Why do we use the past perfect, if there is the year (1884)?

    "In 1884 Lewis Waterman had patented the fountain pen, giving him the sole rights to manufacture it."

    The whole text: "In 1884 Lewis Waterman had patented the fountain pen, giving him the sole rights to manufacture it. This marked a significant leap forward in writing technology, but fountain pens soon became notorious for leaking. In 1888, a leather tanner named John Loud devised and patented the first 'rolling-pointed marker pen' for marking leather."

    Maybe the author tried to emphasized the order of the events.
    And can we use here past simple?

    Thank you!
    I would not have used the past perfect tense there. I would have used the simple past.

  7. #7
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,509
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Past Perfect or Past Simple

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    I would not have used the past perfect tense there. I would have used the simple past.
    I should think it depends on the wider context. Taking one sentence in isolation is not ideal.

  8. #8
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,328
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Past Perfect or Past Simple

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    I should think it depends on the wider context. Taking one sentence in isolation is not ideal.
    I agree, but I don't like the past perfect with "in 1984"

  9. #9
    Dante2402's Avatar
    Dante2402 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Past Perfect or Past Simple

    Thanks!
    I found that text in the grammar book and I was confused, but I have just found the rule about how to use the past perfect.
    We can use the past perfect as the equivalent of the past simple. We use it when we want to narrate events looking back from a point in the past. Unlike the present perfect, the past perfect can be used with a specific time reference:

    1. Ann and Michael have just got married.
    It was June 1991. Ann and Michael had just got married.

    2. Jane is now 28. She started working for the company when she was 18. She quickly climbed the career ladder and is now the youngest managing director the company has ever appointed.

    Jane was then 28. She had started working for the company when she was 18. She had quickly climbed the career ladder and is now the youngest managing director the company has ever appointed.

    Maybe in that sentence (post #5) we have the same situation?

  10. #10
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,509
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Past Perfect or Past Simple

    Quote Originally Posted by Dante2402 View Post
    Thanks!
    I found that text in the grammar book and I was confused, but I have just found the rule about how to use the past perfect.
    We can use the past perfect as the equivalent of the past simple. We use it when we want to narrate events looking back from a point in the past. Unlike the present perfect, the past perfect can be used with a specific time reference:

    1. Ann and Michael have just got married.
    It was June 1991. Ann and Michael had just got married.

    2. Jane is now 28. She started working for the company when she was 18. She quickly climbed the career ladder and is now the youngest managing director the company has ever appointed.

    Jane was then 28. She had started working for the company when she was 18. She had quickly climbed the career ladder and is now the youngest managing director the company has ever appointed.

    Maybe in that sentence (post #5) we have the same situation?
    Yes.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 29-Oct-2010, 08:48
  2. [Grammar] Past simple, past continuous and past perfect
    By fuadha in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 18-Aug-2009, 12:17
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Mar-2008, 00:46
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 21-Nov-2007, 04:15
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Apr-2006, 17:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •