Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello!

An online Dictionary instructs "tend" is a transitive verb, with an illustration as below, when it means look after.

v.tr.1. To have the care of; watch over; look after: tend a child.
Here's URL
tend - definition of tend by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

But I found "tend to some" from Washington Post. Here's the snippet with the URL link.

You can let your closest work friends know you’re tending to a family matter, while assuring (and ensuring) that their needs will still be met on time. And try not to take advantage of their sympathy.
@Work Advice: - The Washington Post

How should I use "tend someone" and "tend to someone" when it comes to "look after"?

Many thanks!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello!

An online Dictionary instructs "tend" is a transitive verb, with an illustration as below, when it means look after.

v.tr.1. To have the care of; watch over; look after: tend a child.

Here's URL
tend - definition of tend by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

But I found "tend to some" from Washington Post. Here's the snippet with the URL link.

You can let your closest work friends know you’re tending to a family matter, while assuring (and ensuring) that their needs will still be met on time. And try not to take advantage of their sympathy.

@Work Advice: - The Washington Post

How should I use "tend someone" and "tend to someone" when it comes to "look after"?

Many thanks!

Had it been written by a Washington Post journalist, it should have been "attending to a family matter". However, the letter was submitted to the newspaper by a member of the public so it was she who made the error. Newspapers generally don't correct spelling/grammar errors in readers' letters.

Edit: Apologies - I just realised that the offending sentence was written by the journalist/writer for the Washington Post magazine so, in my opinion, it's an error.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think the use of "tending" here was a mistake. The same dictionary that the OP cited (American Heritage) defines one use of "intransitive tend" as "To apply one's attention; attend". They seem to be synonyms in that use.

Status
Not open for further replies.