Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
United States
Check my accent - YouTube
Dear teachers, please, listen to this recording and tell me what should I improve to reduce my Ukrainian accent. Thanks in advance!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You look like you were reading a text, which can make the speech unnatural- it does seem a little theatrical and, if anything, over-articulated. However, your pronunciation is generally fine and not marked by a strong L1 accent. I am unfamiliar with Ukranian speakers' pronunciation, so I don't know how typical your pronunciation is, but generally it's fine. I'd calm things down, go a bit easier on the stress and emphasis, and look at some of the vowel sounds - work - but I certainly wouldn't worry too much if I were you.

Ardiseven

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi,
I agree that your English pronunciation is good and I haven't noticed an Ukrainian accent. I recommend working on reduction ("to" and "for" are usually reduced and pronounced very quickly) and linking (e.g., "to", "or" and "for" should be linked to the next word). Pay attention to stop T at the end of the words (e.g., great). I would also work on intonation and separation of main words from ancillary words.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.