• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

A little help on the articles please

Hi, I am a non-native student majoring in a department related to English at a university. These days there is one thing that keeps annoying me: articles.
    In some cases in which I think there should be a article in-for example, in front of a car-, The dictionary says “no, it isn’t, you narrow-eyed Asian, stop consulting me for stupid questions”, and in the other cases in which there shan’t be a article-for example, in an analysis of variance-, the dictionary says “Yes it is, you narrow-eyed Asian. Every time such thing happens, I get so numbed that silence falls upon me and lingers for 10 minutes, and then I start considering the balance between uncertain transfer to other major and agony haunting me like forever.
    So, the question that I’d like to ask you teachers is that under what laws, or principles, the articles are applied, and their usage. Please, you kind sir, help me get out of this turbulence. I don’t want give up the major. There are so many books to read and so many ideas to explore, but not before this problem is solved can I do, as it keeps me out of the track.

With due respect for all of you.

MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A little help on the articles please

Quote Originally Posted by name91 View Post
    Hi, I am a non-native student majoring in a department related to English at a university. These days there is one thing that keeps annoying me: articles.
    In some cases in which I think there should be a article in-for example, in front of a car-, The dictionary says “no, it isn’t, you narrow-eyed Asian, stop consulting me for stupid questions”, and in the other cases in which there shan’t be a article-for example, in an analysis of variance-, the dictionary says “Yes it is, you narrow-eyed Asian. Every time such thing happens, I get so numbed that silence falls upon me and lingers for 10 minutes, and then I start considering the balance between uncertain transfer to other major and agony haunting me like forever.
    So, the question that I’d like to ask you teachers is that under what laws, or principles, the articles are applied, and their usage. Please, you kind sir, help me get out of this turbulence. I don’t want give up the major. There are so many books to read and so many ideas to explore, but not before this problem is solved can I do, as it keeps me out of the track.

With due respect for all of you.
    Your writing is good -- and humorous. English articles are quirky. There are some rules, as you well know, but sometimes their use is just the way it is. Keep working on it. It will get better over time.