Results 1 to 10 of 12

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    dodonaomik's Avatar
    dodonaomik is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    338
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default 【, and】 is unnecessary?

    A newly developed jumbo rocket, which is expected to
    carry the United States into its next phase of space exploration,
    will be able to deliver a heavier load of instruments into orbit than the space shuttle can, and at a lower cost.



    Question: In my opinion, the sentence may be not wrong , but at the same time 【, and】 is unnecessary,
    even the sentence is better and more concise if 【, and】 is cut.
    Is my opinion right?


    Sincere thanks to dear teachers!

  2. #2
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 【, and】 is unnecessary?

    In this particular sentence, the 'and' emphasises the lower cost.

  3. #3
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,077
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 【, and】 is unnecessary?

    The original is fine IMO, and the way it is written turns it into two clear points. You can remove , and if you like.

  4. #4
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,435
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 【, and】 is unnecessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by dodonaomik View Post
    A newly developed jumbo rocket, which is expected to
    carry the United States into its next phase of space exploration,
    will be able to deliver a heavier load of instruments into orbit than the space shuttle can, and at a lower cost.



    Question: In my opinion, the sentence may be not wrong , but at the same time 【, and】 is unnecessary,
    even the sentence is better and more concise if 【, and】 is cut.
    Is my opinion right?


    Sincere thanks to dear teachers!
    I don't know when this sentence was written, but if it was written after July, 2011, the word "can" should be changed to "could". The space shuttle program has ended.

  5. #5
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 【, and】 is unnecessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    I don't know when this sentence was written, but if it was written after July, 2011, the word "can" should be changed to "could". The space shuttle program has ended.
    Clues such as 'is expected to carry', 'next phase' and 'will be able to deliver' suggest pretty strongly that the space shuttle program was alive and kicking when that sentence was written.

  6. #6
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,435
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 【, and】 is unnecessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    Clues such as 'is expected to carry', 'next phase' and 'will be able to deliver' suggest pretty strongly that the space shuttle program was alive and kicking when that sentence was written.
    Those phrases apply to the new jumbo rocket, not to the space shuttle.

  7. #7
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 【, and】 is unnecessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    Those phrases apply to the new jumbo rocket, not to the space shuttle.
    No, but they appear in the same sentence as 'the space shuttle can'. Unless there is clear evidence to the contrary, I think we have to assume that the writer knew his/her times, tenses, and the state of the space shuttle program.

    ps (a little later): The sentence appears here, in a post written in 2009. It probably appears elesewhere, but that' good enough.

  8. #8
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,435
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: 【, and】 is unnecessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    No, but they appear in the same sentence as 'the space shuttle can'. Unless there is clear evidence to the contrary, I think we have to assume that the writer knew his/her times, tenses, and the state of the space shuttle program.

    ps (a little later): The sentence appears here, in a post written in 2009. It probably appears elesewhere, but that' good enough.
    I agree. If the sentence was written in 2009, it is correct as stands. Had it been written after July 20011, it would have been incorrect. Good research!

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] 【each】 vs. 【either】
    By dodonaomik in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Sep-2008, 05:11
  2. [Grammar] 【from which】 + 【within/in】
    By dodonaomik in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-Sep-2008, 14:39
  3. and before an unnecessary clause
    By denamarie in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-May-2008, 06:59
  4. unnecessary preposition
    By drifter in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17-Apr-2008, 05:35
  5. to be - unnecessary?
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 13-Feb-2004, 03:00

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •