Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I was wondering if them could be used in the meaning of their? I mean can you say for example them shoes instead of their shoes? I have found recently such variant in some dictionary, but I can't confirm that, because nowhere else I can find that and I'm not sure whether this dictionary is reliable.

I'd appreciate help :)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I was wondering if them could be used in the meaning of their? I mean can you say for example them shoes instead of their shoes? I have found recently such variant in some dictionary, but I can't confirm that, because nowhere else I can find that and I'm not sure whether this dictionary is reliable.

I'd appreciate help :)

No, you can't use "them" in place of "their".

Caroline_3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank You :)

I have one more question. How should I understand these lyrics then: I believe them bones are me.. It appears to be part of some song by Alice in Chains that I found looking for the answer to my question.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You will hear "them" used in non-standard English. There is a song with the lyrics "Them bones, them bones, them ..." but "them" is a replacement for "those", not for "their". Little children (and some adults) say "I want some of them sweets" or "I want them shoes!" Again, the word they need is "those". I believe it is used in the same way in some southern states of America and possibly in a race-specific variant but I will wait for an AmE speaker to confirm.

Caroline_3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank You very much for clearing this up for me :)

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You will hear "them" used in non-standard English. There is a song with the lyrics "Them bones, them bones, them ..." but "them" is a replacement for "those", not for "their". Little children (and some adults) say "I want some of them sweets" or "I want them shoes!" Again, the word they need is "those". I believe it is used in the same way in some southern states of America and possibly in a race-specific variant but I will wait for an AmE speaker to confirm.
Yes, it is was used mostly in the southern US by African-Americans, but it was pronounced "Dem". I still hear it occasionally in southern speech pronounced as "them" - "Git me some of them grits.".

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Thank You. [STRIKE]:) [/STRIKE]
***NOT A TEACHER***
':)' is non-standard although it is widely used here in S. Arabia. We are looking forward to using/learning standard English. Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
***NOT A TEACHER***
':)' is non-standard although it is widely used here in S. Arabia. We are looking forward to using/learning standard English. Thanks.

I'm not sure what your post meant. Are you saying that the emoticon ':)' is non-standard? If so, I should point out that all emoticons/smileys are "non-standard", especially given that they are not even words. They are only used on the net and in text messages, never in handwritten English and it would be impossible to use them in spoken English.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

It is not only used in the South in the US, but it is considered nonstandard by careful English speakers everywhere in the US.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Status
Not open for further replies.