help needed from native English speakers - linguistic questionnaires for research

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeloiseVdW

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
UK
Hi,

as part of my thesis, I will be running a psycholinguistic experiment. Before that, I need to check that the stimuli I am using sound "native".

I have set up online questionnaires to collect judgments by native English speakers. I still need quite a few participants for these questionnaires... and would be most grateful if you could take the time to have a look at them!

If you wish to participate, you can find them on the link below:

https://sites.google.com/site/linguisticquestionnaires/home

Taking part will only take you around 15 minutes of your time, but you will be very helpful for my research (and also, you might find it interesting).

If you want more information about the questionnaires and/or about my research, you can of course contact me.

Many thanks to all participants,

Heloise

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi Heloise,
Many of the questions/statements are oddly phrase. Many of the ones with "easily" or "finally" just aren't natural. Like, there was one "Could you repsect the deadline easily?" -- I don't know what that means. Was it said to me after I turned in the project on time and you want to know if I had trouble with it, or did I miss the deadline and you want to tell me to respect it next time? There would be context for it in real life and my answer might change based on the context.

And some of the responses are suitable if you're a smartass - like the one with the wind not blowing inside. It doesn't mean you don't understand the question. Ultimately, I closed out of the quiz.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I found exactly the same problems as Barb, but I finished it. Where there is a literal answer and a smartarse answer, it's impossible to say which is more natural. So I chose a few of each. Maybe that's a psychological part of your project - to mess with peoples' heads. I also found some of the "finally" questions incomprehensible.
I think that if this is really an attempt to get it right first with English natives, I would have included a feedback box on the form, and perhaps a choice of "No natural answer" or "Bad question". If it's the 'control' part of the project, I'm not sure that it's valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.