Results 1 to 10 of 10
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • El Salvador
      • Current Location:
      • El Salvador

    • Join Date: Jan 2014
    • Posts: 3
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Is this book title correctly written?

    The Basic Doctrines, A Handbook by Daniel Levitt

    My intuition says its correct but I'd like confirmation from a more educated member.
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by 5jj; 22-Jan-2014 at 06:06. Reason: unnecessary link removed.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Is this book title correctly written?

    It could be, but what do you want to write it in- for instance, if you're making a reference, you will need to include more information.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 22-Jan-2014 at 12:20. Reason: typo

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 20,227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Is this book title correctly written?

    Quote Originally Posted by jomplox View Post
    The Basic Doctrines, A Handbook by Daniel Levitt

    My intuition says its correct but I'd like confirmation from a more educated member.
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    No, it's not right. Does the title include "by Daniel Levitt"? Also, if "A Handbook" is a subtitle, that's normally written following a colon.
    Book titles are either italicised or underlined. So I suspect that the real title might be The Basic Doctrines: A Handbook, and that it was written by Daniel Levitt.

    I have both underlined and italicised the possible real title, since everything becomes italicised if it is quoted here. As Tdol says, the exact way you write the title and author, etc. depends on where you are going to write it, and whether you need to give the name of the publisher and date of publication.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 22-Jan-2014 at 13:09. Reason: typo

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 16,037
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Is this book title correctly written?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post

    I have both underlined and italicised the possible real title, since everything becomes italicised if it is quoted here.
    You'll be pleased to observe, Raymott, that thanks to a recent development, that's no longer the case.

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Is this book title correctly written?

    Our valiant webmaster, Red5, got rid of this annoying feature for us.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • El Salvador
      • Current Location:
      • El Salvador

    • Join Date: Jan 2014
    • Posts: 3
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Is this book title correctly written?

    Thank you guys for all your answers! The whole title "The Basic Doctrines, A Handbook by Daniel Levitt" Is intended to appear in the cover of the book. No additional text meant for the cover. How does this change your advice?

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2014
    • Posts: 7
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Is this book title correctly written?

    I believe I am required to say that I am not a teacher. That being said, let's move on.

    "The Basic Doctrines, A Handbook by Daniel Levitt" is what you have.
    The Basic Doctrines:A Handbook by Daniel Levitt is how I would write it.

    Is your name supposed to be part of the title? If so,
    The Basic Doctrines:A Handbook by Daniel Levitt is how I would write it. As a prior poster said, subtitles are set apart by a colon.

    Adieu! :)
    --Sierra Lynn

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • El Salvador
      • Current Location:
      • El Salvador

    • Join Date: Jan 2014
    • Posts: 3
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: Is this book title correctly written?

    Yes, the name is intended to be part of the title. Thank you for your reply!
    Quote Originally Posted by SierraLynn2015 View Post
    I believe I am required to say that I am not a teacher. That being said, let's move on.

    "The Basic Doctrines, A Handbook by Daniel Levitt" is what you have.
    The Basic Doctrines:A Handbook by Daniel Levitt is how I would write it.

    Is your name supposed to be part of the title? If so,
    The Basic Doctrines:A Handbook by Daniel Levitt is how I would write it. As a prior poster said, subtitles are set apart by a colon.

    Adieu! :)
    --Sierra Lynn

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2014
    • Posts: 7
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: Is this book title correctly written?

    'Tis not a problem indeed. :) Glad I helped (if I did)!
    --Sierra Lynn

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 20,227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: Is this book title correctly written?

    Quote Originally Posted by jomplox View Post
    Thank you guys for all your answers! The whole title "The Basic Doctrines, A Handbook by Daniel Levitt" Is intended to appear in the cover of the book. No additional text meant for the cover. How does this change your advice?
    The author's name appearing on the front cover does not make it part of the title. It's very uncommon in English for an author's name to be part of a title. In fact, I'm having trouble thinking of one.

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Correctly written or written correcty
    By coldplay258 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-Dec-2012, 18:25
  2. [General] is it written correctly ?
    By globsticks in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28-Dec-2011, 01:24
  3. Is this correctly written, need help
    By letsdoit in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-Aug-2010, 18:42
  4. is the passage written correctly?
    By KLPNO in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 22-Feb-2008, 21:48
  5. are these sentences written correctly?
    By KLPNO in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-Feb-2008, 20:37

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •