Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I have already asked about the difference between nice and fine in this forum (that time it was about its use with "tea" and "knife"). Now the same about "plans" and "bikes" - if I like someone's plan or bike, should I use "fine" or "nice" to describe it (if I only have to choose between the two words), and, if both are possible, is there a difference?

1) I like his plan. It is fine. (I like his bike. It is fine.)
2) I like his plan. It is nice. (I like his bike. It is nice.)

To me it seems that a woman would use "nice" (= lovely, pleasant to look at) and a man would say "fine" (= reasonable, good quality). Am I right?
:-?

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have already asked about the difference between nice and fine in this forum (that time it was about its use with "tea" and "knife"). Now the same about "plans" and "bikes" - if I like someone's plan or bike, should I use "fine" or "nice" to describe it (if I only have to choose between the two words), and, if both are possible, is there a difference?

1) I like his plan. It is fine. (I like his bike. It is fine.)
2) I like his plan. It is nice. (I like his bike. It is nice.)

To me it seems that a woman would use "nice" (= lovely, pleasant to look at) and a man would say "fine" (= reasonable, good quality). Am I right?
:-?

Not necessarily. This is not a gender issue.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We rarely use "fine" in that sort of context. It's used frequently to mean acceptable, adequate or OK.

Did you check my homework?
Yes. It's fine. (It's OK. There aren't too many mistakes. It doesn't mean that it's perfect or lovely or beautiful.)

Have you checked on the baby?
Yes, she's fine. (She's OK. She's not ill and she seems happy.)

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Not necessarily. This is not a gender issue.

And is there a difference in meaning between 1) and 2)? Which sentences are more natural?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And is there a difference in meaning between 1) and 2)? Which sentences are more natural?

Not much. I doubt I would say a bicycle is "fine".

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
We rarely use "fine" in that sort of context. It's used frequently to mean acceptable, adequate or OK.

Did you check my homework?
Yes. It's fine. (It's OK. There aren't too many mistakes. It doesn't mean that it's perfect or lovely or beautiful.)

Have you checked on the baby?
Yes, she's fine. (She's OK. She's not ill and she seems happy.)

And what about "a fine /nice plan"?)) Is it better to use "a nice plan" then? Does this sentence make sense? I need these sentences to make simple exercises for elementary students who have just learnt "fine" and "nice"and the verb to be in the present tense. I just want the sentences to make sense so that I could use them to practice elementary grammar and vocabulary.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And what about "a fine /nice plan"?)) Is it better to use "a nice plan" then? Does this sentence make sense? I need these sentences to make simple exercises for elementary students who have just learnt "fine" and "nice"and the verb to be in the present tense. I just want the sentences to make sense so that I could use them to practice elementary grammar and vocabulary.

With "plan", I would use either.

Status
Not open for further replies.