[Vocabulary] What does 'dispense' mean in these contexts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xReindeer

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
'The delivery of this Code to any public or private entity dispenses representation of the paper certificate' (Code means number code of access)

and in another context...

'The elements listed in the registration do not dispense the need to consult the registrations and related entries and recordings so are these that define the legal nature of the entity'

These texts are probably translated from Portugal.

So what do they mean in these contexts?
Thank you in advance!

Edit .. And what is the exact meaning of the second context. The phrase "so are these that..." confuses me.

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

'Dispense' has two common meanings: 1) to get rid of; do away with; manage with out 2) to provide or distribute

That said, I couldn't tell you what the first sentence means with absolute certainty, because both meanings appear to make sense here. I would need some outside context as to what this 'Code' and 'paper certificate' are and what their significance is.

Same story for the second sentence. What's the broader context for this? What kind of document did you get these sentences from?

Also, the phrase "so are these..." is a bit strange to me as well. You said this was translated from Portuguese? They may have meant something else, like "such as these...".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In the sense of 'do away with' dispense needs to be followed by with. The sentences need to be:

'The delivery of this Code to any public or private entity dispenses with [STRIKE] re[/STRIKE]presentation of the paper certificate.'

'The elements listed in the registration do not dispense with the need to consult the registrations and related entries and recordings [STRIKE][STRIKE]so are these that [/STRIKE][/STRIKE] as these are what defines the legal nature of the entity.'

xReindeer

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
I think 'Code' in this document means the typical reference number of a document and 'paper certificate' probably means the certificate (here it is a Permanent Certificate of Registration) in its paper form.

I think I can get an idea of it
Thanks for your replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.