• Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Forms of Discussion Classes

Hello everyone. I want to know if there is any processed format for a discussion class that could be run with the variety of styles. It would also be so helpful to know a reference about discussion classes per se. I have found some sources for topics and the techniques of dealing with them, but all of them have this presupposition of considering a discussion class as a mere speaking and listening session.
    Thanks

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Forms of Discussion Classes

What do you consider a discussion class to be?

konungursvia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

If I understand your meaning, I believe you are referring to classes that practice spoken English.

There are 2 kinds, generally speaking: modelling accurate speech (language lab) and practising free expression (dynamics).

I would download Pimsleur's French I and listen to a full 25 minute lesson, and see what can be done with modelling accurate speech in a structured manner. It's more useful than people seem to think, and can be done well, with effort.

For the other, just think of debate topics and teach argumentation, and invite people to speak in groups of 2, 4, and the whole group, about those topics. Alternatively, let them speak about their weekends, their funny stories, various free expression discourse types. Do very little direct correction in this type of lesson. Give tons of compliments and encouragement.

City Kids English is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I am an English language teacher in Tokyo. I used to work for a big company called Gaba and they trained us on how to have discussion lessons.

First choose your topic of discussion, I recommend this website esldiscussions.com

Hand out each student a copy of the questions so that they can take them home as reference. Start off by asking the top question and see who would like to answer first. Usually other students will answer next, if you find one student is particularly quiet, you could ask them for an answer directly.

I always write notes for my students when they learn something new or make a mistake. But if your class is too big you won't be able to give out individual notes. Write each note in a difference colour of pen to make it easier for them to read when they get home.

If your student answers something interesting then you can ask a question that links in to their answer. Try to get your students to speak as much as possible. Remember that the lesson is not about 'you' it is about your student. Don't give your opinion, just listen and correct any English mistakes.

I hope this helps!

Laura
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 03-Feb-2014 at 16:44. Reason: Website address removed - potential advertising