Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong
Dear teachers

I want to describe a guy who is handsome, but kind of having an academic look, rather than sporty. Is it appropriate/grammatically correct to use "bookishly handsome" to describe such a person? But "bookishly" seems to be a typo, and it is not in the dictionary.

Please advise

Holden

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's in a few dictionaries here (click on the underlined link and bookmark the site for future reference).

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear teachers

I want to describe a guy who is handsome, but kind of having an academic look, rather than sporty. Is it appropriate/grammatically correct to use "bookishly handsome" to describe such a person? But "bookishly" seems to be a typo, and it is not in the dictionary.

Please advise

Holden

Many dictionaries will not list a separate definition for an adverb made from an adjective. One can look up the adjective and the adverb form will be listed below it.

The phrase "bookishly handsome" is not common but it has been used. See the results of a Google search here:
https://www.google.com/search?q="bo...j4&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

holdenenglish

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong
Dear teachers

From prevoius post (link at the bottom), I understand that "bookishly handsome" is not a common use. So in the following sentence, any synonyms your recommend to supersede "bookishly handsome"?

"Sitting in the passenger seat of the red Toyota Corolla, the 45-year-old, bookishly handsome investment manager momentarily gapes at the video camera that the driver of the car is pointing at his face."

Please advise.

Holden

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/as...-handsome.html

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear teachers

From prevoius post (link at the bottom), I understand that "bookishly handsome" is not a common use. So in the following sentence, any synonyms your recommend to supersede "bookishly handsome"?

"Sitting in the passenger seat of the red Toyota Corolla, the 45-year-old, bookishly handsome investment manager momentarily gapes at the video camera that the driver of the car is pointing at his face."

Please advise.

Holden

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/as...-handsome.html

I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't use it. Even though the phrase is uncommon, it is understandable.

Status
Not open for further replies.