Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Theodore

  1. #11
    tjgzi is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Theodore

    Part of speech is resolved before this table, a noun such as "bear" is processed as a noun. Nouns are processed as follows: base form has a plural form unless the base form is a plural form (Plural Noun).

  2. #12
    tjgzi is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Theodore

    Computer memory is so cheep today that the inflected forms are kept in their entirety, or complete spelling. Although ... the input does accept a base form followed by its inflections. Input is subjective to human error, and must be validated before acceptance as a valid human response; Therefore, thank you for the reply, about inflection spelling, which I will incorporate as a validation routine.

  3. #13
    tjgzi is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Theodore

    Verbs are so complex I am resolved to first solve the problem with inflected forms. I have gone through numerous definitions, but the definition of "Past Simple" on this site is the one that really clued me in. The definition is as follows (with the pertinent information in bold text):

    The Past Simple tense, ... in many different ways. The verb form is the same for all persons.

    In conclusion, a past tense verb form is comprised of up to three persons, and if the verb form includes all three persons; then, the verb form is called past simple.


    Base Form 1st Person sing. 2nd Person sing. 3rd Person sing. Simple
    ABASH ABASHED
    BE WAS WERE WAS
    WAST
    WERT

    Furthermore, a present tense verb form is comprised of up to three persons, and if the verb form includes all three persons; then the verb form is called present simple. Note: that I can not find an example of present simple, but that is okay as long as the definition holds true.

    Base Form 1st Person sing. 2nd Person sing. 3rd Person sing. Simple
    ABASH ABASHES
    BE AM ARE IS
    ART

  4. #14
    tjgzi is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Theodore

    Now on to past and present participles. Unless you can find a fault in last post reasoning. I appreciate all replies.

  5. #15
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Theodore

    Quote Originally Posted by tjgzi View Post
    Now on to past and present participles. Unless you can find a fault in last post reasoning. I appreciate all replies.
    Tigzi, you say that you are an academic and that your native language is English. Do you really think that you need to account for such forms as wast and wert?

    Your definitions in post #13 are ... bizarre.

  6. #16
    Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    44,177
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Theodore

    Quote Originally Posted by tjgzi View Post
    Part of speech is resolved before this table, a noun such as "bear" is processed as a noun. Nouns are processed as follows: base form has a plural form unless the base form is a plural form (Plural Noun).
    I am a bit unsure as to what the program will do- will it be able to parse text inputted grammatically?

    BTW Some nouns don't have a plural, others have a plural form the same as the base form (sheep), while others are only plural (cattle).

  7. #17
    tjgzi is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Theodore

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    Tigzi, you say that you are an academic and that your native language is English. Do you really think that you need to account for such forms as wast and wert?

    Your definitions in post #13 are ... bizarre.
    I am more likely to be called and insane compulsive ideologue than an academic. I have since changed my profile to make no claim of that title.

    Your are correct that such forms (and there are many) as wast and wert are not applicable to the majority of the English speaking world. A computer is so ignorant that it does not know that; Therefore, all known possible forms are included to make it less likely that processing would be confusing to a human user "if" they were to bring the word or words up in conversation.

    The definitions are extremely bizarre, and I would not recommend them for regular use or teaching. To complete a smooth transition through logic I must make a leap to a concept to account for nothingness of a concept. I hope I articulated that reason correctly.

  8. #18
    tjgzi is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Theodore

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    I am a bit unsure as to what the program will do- will it be able to parse text inputted grammatically?

    BTW Some nouns don't have a plural, others have a plural form the same as the base form (sheep), while others are only plural (cattle).
    AI

    The plural form of SHEEP is SHEEP, noun has a plural form.
    The noun cattle, has no plural because it is a plural noun.
    Other than a proper name, I am not aware of a noun (other than a plural noun) with out a plural, could you expand on that please?
    Last edited by tjgzi; 13-Feb-2014 at 01:24.

  9. #19
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Theodore

    Quote Originally Posted by tjgzi View Post
    To complete a smooth transition through logic I must make a leap to a concept to account for nothingness of a concept. I hope I articulated that reason correctly.
    Well, the rest of you can make up your own minds. I am not going to waste any more time on this nonsense.

  10. #20
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    16,036
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Theodore

    Quote Originally Posted by tjgzi View Post
    AI

    The plural form of SHEEP is SHEEP, noun has a plural form.
    The noun cattle, has no plural because it is a plural noun.
    Other than a proper name, I am not aware of a noun (other than a plural noun) with out a plural, could you expand on that please?
    What are the plurals of thermodynamics, impressionism, furniture, calmness, linguistics, luggage, homework, etc.?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [General] my own philosophy on the Novel "The bomb, by Theodore Taylor"
    By Aidani jamal in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-Feb-2013, 17:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •