[General] Elision of phoneme /h/ in conversation (last part)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
Dear teachers and members:

This is the last part of a previou one

In american English (AmE), in some multisyllable words the /h/ phoneme is silent or elided when it is isolated or in a conversation, but I am not quite sure if this also happens in british English (BrE) too. The following is my exposition about it.

1º) IN ISOLATED WORDS:

Vehicule /ˈviɪkəl/; 2) Durham /ˈdɜrəm/; 3) Pelham Bay /ˈpɛləm beɪ/; 4) Fordham Road; /ˈfɔrəm roʊd/

2º) IN COVERSATION:

a) I worked hard /aɪ wɜrkthɑrd/; tends to elide the /h/, sounding as: /aɪ ˈwɜrktɑrd/

b) He boke his arm / hiˈbroʊkhɪzɑrm / tends to elide the /h/ sounding as: / hiˈbroʊkɪzɑrm /

3º) I also found that the object pronouns HIM HER , YOU, US and THEM are reduced to Schwa in coversation when they are not at the end of a sentence, eliding the /h/ phoneme in most of the times, for examples:

d) Tell him to come / ˈtɛlhəmtəˌkʌm / tends to elide the /h/ sounding as: / ˈtɛləmtəˌkʌm /

e) I told you to give her the book / aɪˈtəʊldʒjətəˌɡɪvhərðəˈbʊk / tends to elide the /h/ sounding as: / aɪˈtəʊldʒjətəˌɡɪvərðəˈbʊk /

4°) When HAVE is preceded by the modal verbs WOULD, COULD, SHOULD, MUST and MIGHT, HAVE it is reduced to Schwa eliding the /h/ phoneme and the /d/ phoneme of the preceding modal verb becomes flap or tap /d/. As mentioned above, this happens if HAVE is not at the end of a sentence, for examples:

a) Anything would have been better / ˈɛnɪˌθɪŋˈwʊrəvbɪnˌbɛtər/

b) He could have done much more / hiˈkʊrəvˌdʌnmʌtʃˈmɔr/

c) It should have been you /ɪtˈʃʊrəvbɪnˈju/

d) it must have been love / ɪtˈmʌsəvbɪnˌlʌv / sometimes / ɪtˈmʌstəvbɪnˌlʌv /

e) I might have been an architec / aɪˈmaɪrəvbɪnənˈɑrkɪˌtɛkt/

QUESTIONS :

1) I have noticed that the word that precedes him, her, them, us. you and have it is always stressed, does this have to do anything with it?

f) I know her brother / aɪˌnəʊhərˈbrʌðər / tends to elide the /h/ sounding as: / aɪˌnəʊərˈbrʌðər /

2) Does this occur when the word that precedes him, her, his or have ends with a vowel sound?, as in:

g) I know her brother / aɪ ˌnəʊ hər ˈbrʌðər /

3) Do the modal verbs change into Schwa in the aforementioned sentences?, as would does in the phonetic transcription:

Anything would have been better / ˈɛnɪˌθɪŋ wəd həv bɪn ˈbɛtər/

4) Do I put the primary and secondary stress properly in the phonetic transcriptions I made?

5) Must the phonetic transcription of the sentence '' I told you to give her the book '' be put into two thought groups?, as follows:

/ aɪˈtəʊldʒju/ / təˌɡɪvərðəˈbʊk /

6) I think when the /v phoneme in have is before a consonant it is not supposed to be transcribed it, it seems to me that it loses its sound, doesn't it?

7) Does the possesive adjective HIS, HER YOUR and THEIR takes the Schwa sound in conversation as well as elides the /h/ phoneme?

i) Is this his house? / ɪzˈðɪshəzˌhaʊs? / tends to elide the /h/ sounding as: / ɪzˈðɪsəzˌhaʊs? /

OBSEVATIONS :

Pronunciation note in the word VEHICLE.

Because the primary stress in vehicle is on the first syllable, the /h/ on the second syllable tends to desapear /ˈviːɪkəl/. A pronunciation with the primary stress on the second syllable and a fully pronounced /h/ is usually considered nonstandard / vɪˈhɪkjʊlər/. In the adjective vehicular, where the primary stress is normal on the second syllable, the /h/ is always pronounced.

I will deeply appreciate your opinion and assistance in this matter

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE]American English (AmE), in some multisyllable words the /h/ phoneme is silent or elided when it is isolated or in a conversation, but I am not quite sure if this also happens in [STRIKE]b[/STRIKE]British English (BrE) too. The following is my exposition about it.

1º) IN ISOLATED WORDS:

Vehicule /ˈviɪkəl/; 2) Durham /ˈdɜrəm/; 3) Pelham Bay /ˈpɛləm beɪ/; 4) Fordham Road; /ˈfɔrəm roʊd/
BrE: /ˈðʌrəm/, /fɔ:dəm/
2º) IN COVERSATION:

a) I worked hard /aɪ wɜrkthɑrd/; tends to elide the /h/, sounding as: /aɪ ˈwɜrktɑrd/

b) He broke his arm / hiˈbroʊkhɪzɑrm / tends to elide the /h/ sounding as: / hiˈbroʊkɪzɑrm /
BrE:
a) /aɪ wɜ:kt :d/, /aɪ wɜ:ktɑ:d/
b) / hi:ˈbrəʊk hɪzɑ:m /, /hi:ˈbrəʊkɪzɑ:m/

I'll have a look at some more later, if I have time.[/QUOTE]

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
3º) I also found that the object pronouns HIM HER , YOU, US and THEM are reduced to Schwa in coversation when they are not at the end of a sentence, eliding the /h/ phoneme in most of the times, for example:

d) Tell him to come / ˈtɛlhəmtəˌkʌm / tends to elide the /h/ sounding as: / ˈtɛləmtəˌkʌm /
e) I told you to give her the book / aɪˈtəʊldʒjətəˌɡɪvhərðəˈbʊk / tends to elide the /h/ sounding as: / aɪˈtəʊldʒjətəˌɡɪvərðəˈbʊk /
BrE:

d) /tɛ(or/e/)lhɪmtəˌkʌm/, /tɛ(or/e/)lɪmtəˌkʌm/
e) /aɪˈtəʊldʒjətəˌɡɪvhəðəˈbʊk/,/ aɪˈtəʊldʒjətəˌɡɪvəðəˈbʊk/

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
a) Anything would have been better / ˈɛnɪˌθɪŋˈwʊrəvbɪnˌbɛtər/
b) He could have done much more / hiˈkʊrəvˌdʌnmʌtʃˈmɔr/
c) It should have been you /ɪtˈʃʊrəvbɪnˈju/
d) it must have been love / ɪtˈmʌsəvbɪnˌlʌv / sometimes / ɪtˈmʌstəvbɪnˌlʌv /
e) I might have been an architec / aɪˈmaɪrəvbɪnənˈɑrkɪˌtɛkt/
BrE:

a) /ɛnɪˌθɪŋˈwʊdə(v)bɪ:nˌbɛtə(r)/. In some northern dialects, the /d/ may become [ɹ]. Some speakers of Cockney may produce [ɾ].
The /v/ is often dropped in informal speech.
An increasing number of younger speakers of many dialects produce a glottalstop, [ʔ], in place of intervocalic /t/, as in 'better'.

b) /hi: ˈkʊdə(v)ˌdʌn mʌtʃˈ mɔ:(r)/. In some northern dialects, the /d/ may become [ɹ]. Some speakers of Cockney may produce [ɾ].

c) /ɪt ˈʃʊdə(v)bɪnˈju/. In some northern dialects, the /d/ may become [ɹ]. Some speakers of Cockney may produce [ɾ].

d) /ɪt mʌst ə(v)bɪnˌlʌv/. The /t/ of 'must is usually sounded. The /v/ is often dropped in informal speech.

e) /aɪˈmaɪtə(v)bɪn ənɑ:kɪtɛkt/. the final consonant of 'might' may be produced as a glottal stop.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
Thank you 5jj:

Your explanation is magnificient and excellent.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I can't help but note that you looked for a sentence without /h/ elision! ;-)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1) I have noticed that the word that precedes him, her, them, us. you and have it is always stressed, does this have to do anything with it?
The word that precedes him, her, them, etc may be stressed: I like her brother.

2) Does this occur when the word that precedes him, her, his or have ends with a vowel sound?
It freqently occurs when the preceding word ends in a consonant. In fact, the /h/ is more likely to be sounded after a vowel.

Status
Not open for further replies.