Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello.

Is there any significant difference between them? I've looked up several dictionaries and they said they're synonyms.

If they're synonyms for you as well what do you think about these words: foeman, adversary, antagonist. Can I say they are synonyms too?
Thanks.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello.

Is there any significant difference between them? I've looked up several dictionaries and they said they're synonyms.

If they're synonyms for you as well what do you think about these words: foeman, adversary, antagonist. Can I say they are synonyms too?
Thanks.
No, I don't believe so. A foeman is an old term and essential means the same as foe. An adversary could be a friend who is competing against you. A person could be an antagonist without being an enemy.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Enemy is the usual workaday term. Foe and foeman are literary and perhaps a little archaic. Adversary and antagonist tend to be more personal than enemy. Boxers and lawyers are adversaries in the ring or the courtroom but may be friends outside those arenas. Antagonism is a property of an individual only, while enmity is often collective.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.