[General] Is "Hang on" a rude word.Is this the right word to use to pause someone in meetings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phani333

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
UK
Is "Hang on" a rude word.Is this the right word to use to pause someone in meetings?

Dear Experts

I have seen few people in my team using the word "Hang on" very frequently during discussions/debates. I would like to know if this is the right word to use while talking to colleagues in professional meetings. Somehow this word sounds a bit rude to me. Please correct me.

Thanks
Phani Akella

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Re: Is "Hang on" a rude word.Is this the right word to use to pause someone in meetin

Dear Experts

I have seen a few people in my team using the [STRIKE]word[/STRIKE] phrase (or 'words') "Hang on" very frequently during discussions/debates. I would like to know if this is the right word to use while talking to colleagues in professional meetings. Somehow this word sounds a bit rude to me. Please correct me.

Thanks
Phani Akella
What are they using the phrase to mean? I can think of two possible uses, one ruder than the other, but both better avoided in professional discussions. Colloquially, it's usually OK.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Re: Is "Hang on" a rude word.Is this the right word to use to pause someone in meetin

Are they using it to get an opportunity to speak or to disagree? I wouldn't use it formally, but I would use it with most colleagues for the former, but not the latter.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Are they using it to get an opportunity to speak or to disagree? I wouldn't use it formally, but I would use it with most colleagues for the former, but not the latter.
I was thinking also of the usage which occurs when a person forgets something, or needs a moment to reflect, etc.
"I have the figures here. Hang on, they're in my briefcase."
That is not rude, while the "hang on" that interrupts someone else usually is. I still wouldn't use "hang on" professionally. Better would be "One moment", "One second", "Excuse me", or even "Just a sec.".

Status
Not open for further replies.