[Grammar] How many times did he watch the movie in all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

comeng

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
My friend asked me how many times he watched the movie in all.
Here is the sentence.
"When I watched the movie again last night, I had watched it twice."

I think it's twice. Because from the time before the past to the time when he watched the movie, "had watched" means a acumulated freqence. But someone says it's three, for before the past when he watched the movie he had already watced it twice, and now the past when he watched the movie he watched it again.

I think if it's three, the sentence should be "Before I watched the movie again last night, I had watched it twice."

What's wrong, if any, with my thought? And if there's any error or ambiguous part in the above first sentence, what would you suggest to make it a better one?

Thanks to everyone who'll answer

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes, you're right. You'd need to know whether he was counting this time in the total. This could be easily fixed by changing 'When' to 'Before' or 'After'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree entirely that changing "When" to "Before" or "After" would make a world of difference. My answer would be "Including last night, twice".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The first sentence is odd. Why would your friend ask you how many times he watched a movie? It appears that your friend was telling you, not asking you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The first sentence is odd. Why would your friend ask you how many times he watched a movie? It appears that your friend was telling you, not asking you.

Good point. I hadn't noticed but now I assume it should have said "My friend told me how many times he had seen the film in all".

comeng

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Oh, Thanks for telling me the right verb for the question sentence. I am poor at English. Honestly, I wondered if my question is right. However, though it's not quite a correct one, I thought it could express what I was trying to say.:)

comeng

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea

Oops, this is the first I post the reply. I have to post my reply again with quote.

Oh, Thanks for telling me the right verb for the question sentence. I am poor at English. Honestly, I wondered if my question is right. However, though it's not quite a correct one, I thought it could express what I was trying to say.:)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Don't worry. The more you practice, the better you will get.

comeng

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Good point. I hadn't noticed but now I assume it should have said "My friend told me how many times he had seen the film in all".

Thanks for reply. Once again I've found there is a fault in my post. By "the above first sentence", I mean "When I watched the movie again last night, I had watched it twice." How do others say it in this case? "the above example sentence" or something else???

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
How do others say it in this case? "the above example sentence" or something else???
"The original sentence" if, as in this case, there is one.

comeng

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Status
Not open for further replies.