Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hey there...I am a new member and this is my first question. Once I was watching a movie and the girl said to her friend: "you know how to care of a child because you work with it, so WALK THE TALK, WALK THE TALK". What does this expression mean? I guess that is you must practice your knowledge about the subject. Thank you!!!

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hey there...I am a new member and this is my first question. Once I was watching a movie and the girl said to her friend: "you know how to care of a child because you work with it, so WALK THE TALK, WALK THE TALK". What does this expression mean? I guess that is you must practice your knowledge about the subject. Thank you!!!
I believe that the expression is "talk the talk and walk the walk". This means that you do what you say you will do. I not only talk about doing something, I actually do it.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

The real expressions are "talk the talk" and "walk the walk".

See here: http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/talk+the+talk+...+walk+the+walk

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forums, Jackson.:-D

The character in the film got the expression wrong. She may have been a bit dim or scatterbrained.

Status
Not open for further replies.