Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hi,

I would like to ask the following question. Is the clause "Son for father, brother for brothers" correct when the main idea of this is that a son dedicates a bulding (or whatever) to his father and brothers? I saw it mentioned on an information board about a historical building. I personally would probably use "son to father", but maybe I am wrong.

Thanks for your answers and explanation!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm afraid your question is not really clear enough for an answer. More information about the context is needed. You mention something about dedicating a building? But yes - you are right in thinking that you use the preposition 'to' after 'dedicate'. (ie. dedicate sthg. to sb.)

Isobela

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thanks for your reply. I will try to explain it more clearly. There was a nobleman who had that building built in remembrance of his beloved father and brothers. On that bulding there is written (not in english, this is only the translation from the information board): "Son for father, brother for brothers". Is it more clear now? Can it be written like this? Thank you!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't think the translation work. If I saw "Son for father" on a plaque on a building, I would have no idea what it meant.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks for your reply. I will try to explain it more clearly. There was a nobleman who had that building built in remembrance of his beloved father and brothers. On that bulding there is written (not in english, this is only the translation from the information board): "Son for father, brother for brothers". Is it more clear now? Can it be written like this? Thank you!
I assume that this means something like, "This building was built by a 'Son for his father, a brother for his brothers'."
No, that expression is meaningless in English, unless it's spelled out, as in my example. The closest I can think of in English is "From a Son to his Father; a brother to his brothers." Even that is 'poetic'.

Isobela

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you all very much! So, would there be any natural expression for this in English? Maybe it's okay being poetic, as you say, because it was built in 19th century.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
There's no natural expression that I can think of. Raymott suggested one possible poetic version. though I'd either skip the initial capitals for 'son' and 'father' or use initial captals for 'brother' and 'brothers'.

Status
Not open for further replies.