• Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I have had

Hi guys,

we say, "this is the best meal I have ever had or this was the best meal I had ever had" but, can we say "this was the best meal I have ever had" and what is the difference between "best meal I have ever had and best meal I ever had"?

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I have had

Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    w We say, "tThis is the best meal I have ever had" or "tThis was the best meal I had ever had" but, can we say "tThis was the best meal I have ever had.and Also, what is the difference between "best meal I have ever had" and "best meal I ever had"?
    Please note the corrections I have made.

We would not normally mix past and present in a sentence beginning with a present tense: This is (present simple) [or has been (present perfect)] the best meal I have ever had (present perfect).

If we begin with a past tense, we can be more flexible. The meal may be past, but it could still be the best meal of your life - or it may have been surpassed.

That was the best meal I had ever had. - Up to the past time of the meal. Not appropriate for a recent meal.
    That was the best meal I ever had. - During a past time period. Not appropriate for a recent meal.
    That was the best meal I have ever had. - It still has not been surpassed. Possible for a long-past meal or for one you have just finished.
    That was the best meal i ever had. - Not natural in British English.