• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

came out

Is this sentence OK?

I printed the document to the copier to be stapled and double-sided but it came out as unstapled and one-sided. The copier's functions are not working.

Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: came out

Quote Originally Posted by thomas615 View Post
    Is this sentence OK?

I printed the document to the copier to be stapled and double-sided but it came out as unstapled and one-sided. The copier's functions are not working.
    I sent the document to the printer with the properties set for stapling and double-sided printing, but it printed one-sided and did not staple the pages. The printer's functions are not working.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

emsr2d2 is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: came out

At my last office, we had a photocopier which could be programmed to do double-sided printing and stapling of the copies which emerged. Admittedly, it wasn't connected to any computers so we couldn't "send" documents to it. We had to insert the original document but if the OP's original piece is changed to "I set the copier to do double-sided copies and staple the copies but they came out stapled and single-sided", then it works with "copier" or "photocopier".

Whether "printer" or "copier" is correct depends entirely on the piece of equipment the OP is talking about.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.