Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For the past two months in my English class, we've been reading To Kill A Mockingbird, and my teacher has had us do exercises with double-voicedness. She has explained this to us as the author speaking through the character. For example, when Scout points out the hypocrisy of Aunt Alexandra's missionary prayer group, this is really Harper Lee criticizing racism in the South. When I was writing my midterm paper, I tried researching this to find more examples, but according to the internet it doesn't exist. I searched for about an hour and couldn't find a single thing, no matter how I altered the term. Is it maybe a more obscure literary device that someone could help me with? I feel as though this has no concrete base.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For the past two months in my English class, we've been reading To Kill A Mockingbird, and my teacher has had us do exercises with double-voicedness. She has explained this to us as the author speaking through the character. For example, when Scout points out the hypocrisy of Aunt Alexandra's missionary prayer group, this is really Harper Lee criticizing racism in the South. When I was writing my midterm paper, I tried researching this to find more examples, but according to the internet it doesn't exist. I searched for about an hour and couldn't find a single thing, no matter how I altered the term. Is it maybe a more obscure literary device that someone could help me with? I feel as though this has no concrete base.

It is an unusual term, but it is understandable in context. I wouldn't worry about it if you understood the meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.