Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
England
How can I speak like an American or British native speaker?
What aspect should I pay more attention to?

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Not a teacher nor a native speaker.

If you want to speak like an American or British you need to live there at least 5 years (or even more) I think.
You can't speak without an accent even if you enrol in English courses in your locality. You can find enormous quantity video about AmE and BrE on Youtube. There are huge number of articles about it as well. Moreover, if you want to improve your speaking you must speak as much as possible. (preferably to native speakers). You can improve your pronunciation by listening to something (I listen to the BBC Radio 4 extra).

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

Please check the accuracy of the information in your profile.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
According to your profile, you are currently living in England. If that is the case, you are in the perfect position to improve your English accent. Where in the UK do you live? Have you searched for language exchange programs in your local area? Have you checked the local press to see if there are any native speakers who are willing to give conversation practice?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Americans and British speak differently, so if you want to speak like one, you should decide which first.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Also, you should understand (especially in the UK) that people don't all speak in the same way. Age, gender, social class, geographical region and many other factors all play a part in determining the way someone speaks. You must gradually find a way which is unique to you and which allows you to express the identity you wish to express.

But let me add that what I think largely characterises a native speaker's speech is the rhythm with which she speaks. If you can imitate the stress-timed rhythm of native English-speakers, you will sound a bit like one. Let me also add that it is extremely rare for a non-native speaker to ever achieve a fully native accent, so it's not a useful objective to have, if that is your goal.

Last edited:

Kingsley.L

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
England
I will pay attention to it. Thanks~

sissi lee

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Not a teacher

In my opinion,you can listen to songs by American singers or watch American dramas.Besides,if you have enough time and money,you might as well travel to America.When living with the local people,talking with them,you can improve your accent.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It seems a little pointless to suggest that the OP travel to America. According to the member profile, he/she is already living in England and is, therefore, in the perfect position to practice English. We are still waiting to hear from the OP again in this thread.

cjodas

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Not a teacher

In my opinion,you can listen to songs by American singers or watch American dramas.Besides,if you have enough time and money,you might as well travel to America.When living with the local people,talking with them,you can improve your accent.

For example: If I've got to listen to a British singer... what do you think about Dido? or... American singer... maybe... slowly songs by Lady Gaga (like Spechless or ARTPOP), is it a good idea?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Listening to songs, British or American, is not a good way to improve your pronunciation - or your grammar.

Status
Not open for further replies.