Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Please, I´d like to know if the tongue touches the teeth pronuncing "d" specially at the end of a Word or for instance saying "I,d", because i can´t help rubbing the teeth with my tongue. It very important for me ´cos i love perfection. thanks

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, Luckyaxe. I have moved your question to a more appropriate forum.

When we produce /d/ and /t/, the tip of the tongue makes a closure with the upper alveolar ridge. The tip of the tongue does not touch the front teeth.

Please note:

We always use a capital letter for the pronoun 'I'.
We do not leave a space before an apostrophe.
In this English language forum, we do not use text speak words such as 'cos. The word is because.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In Spanish your tongue touches your teeth when you say d, but not in English

Let me try to explain what 5jj meant when he said "alveolar ridge." Start with your tongue touching your upper front teeth. Then move it slowly backwards along the roof of your mouth until it feels two more or less circular depressions on each side, just before the slope of your mouth's upper surface increases sharply. That is the alveolar ridge, where your tongue must be in order to pronounce a perfect English d.

Luckyaxe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
In Spanish your tongue touches your teeth when you say d, but not in English

Let me try to explain what 5jj meant when he said "alveolar ridge." Start with your tongue touching your upper front teeth. Then move it slowly backwards along the roof of your mouth until it feels two more or less circular depressions on each side, just before the slope of your mouth's upper surface increases sharply. That is the alveolar ridge, where your tongue must be in order to pronounce a perfect English d.

yes. I knew that but when I did that the exact point of my tongue rubbs the upper part of my teeth and the part whitch i touch with my tongue the alvolar ridge is not the exact tip of my tongue, is a bit behind. Is that normal? please I need to know

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
For some speakers, it is the blade, the part just behind the tip, that makes contact with the alveolar ridge. This is OK, but if you wish to be sure of producing a natural English sound, try using the tip. If your tongue touches your teeth, move it back; it's not that dificult.

The only difficulty is that in Spanish, the hard /d/ is produced with the tongue touching the teeth, so you will have to think about your /d/ sound, and try to break the habit of producing a Spanish hard /d/. I have to say that if you do produce the Spanish hard /d/, everybody will understand you with no difficulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.