need help starting as teacher for No-English-Basis teenagers ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnCraig

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Syria
Current Location
Turkey
hello,

I am a starter at English teaching and I would like to have some advice on how to teach Arabic nine-graders whose knowledge of English is almost nothing. I need help as I am lost on how to set up a syllabus for them and I hope someone provide some guidelines on how to teach them.

Thank you

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Are you working in an institute?

JohnCraig

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Syria
Current Location
Turkey
@Tdol

No. I am only teaching three teenagers. I have not had the chance to teach in an institute.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
So these are private students? Did you have no say in which students you took on?

poorboy_9

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
flashcards-(in color) You can start with nouns, and then add in the adjectives.[e.g.-dog, black dog, small black dog/ car, blue car,expensive blue car] Your main problem will be choosing "cards" that will keep them (13-15yr old teenagers) interested. Choices such as babe, hot babe, bikinied hot babe may not be the proper ones; but the World Cup is coming up and "soccer" IS popular.

JohnCraig

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Syria
Current Location
Turkey
@ emsr2d2

It is not that I had 'no say' in taking them, it is just that a friend asked me to help teach his friend's kids so I am planning to do so.

@ poorboy_9

Thank you, that was a useful input. Choosing interesting subjects such as football (soccer) would be helpful. They are 14-16 years old but sadly they lack the very basics of English which makes it very difficult for me to start building them up ( they do not know words like: 'but', 'play', 'enjoy' !).

Are there any similar suggestions, please. How should I carry on the process of teaching them? knowing that I have to almost start from zero.

mismir

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
There are lots of textbooks for teenagers who are beginners in English. For example, English in Mind Starter. I think your students will like it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.