Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
Rewrite the following sentences, correct any errors of grammar, mechanics, style or format(MLA)

1)To err is human, to forgive is divine, for this reason you should be open-minded about other people's faults.
2)The sporting goods store which is at the corner is having a sale on hockey equipment.
3)As a result talks between players, and owners, broke down no new talks have been scheduled.
4)Last night a dinner was held to raise money for the flood victims, the dinner consisted of soup' a choice of fish or beef for the entree and ice cream for dessert.
5)Last year winter was extreme and when spring arrived, finally, everyone was determined to enjoy as much of the good whether as they could.
6)Before another winter came blowing in; with blustery winds and sub-zero cold; everybody made sure they had they're parkas, gloves and boots ready.
7)It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Looking back on the past however things seem as uncertain and chaotic as ever.
8)Murray Sinclair and A. C. Hamilton, "Since the time of earliest contact, Aboriginal people and European settlers have seen things from vastly different points of view because their attitudes and philosophies differed. The interaction between the two groups has been characterized as one of 'cooperation and conflict but, more importantly, by misconception and contradictions" (p. 368). And also, "At first, these differences had minimal impact on most Aboriginal people." (p 368).
9)The store, that is at the corner, is having a sale on eggs. Down the street at Sobeys the price of meat is going up; this is bad, my loan doesn't come in for 3 weeks. Which is even worse.
10)Looking out the window the sun is suing, I think its going to be an extremely nice day.

I'm a university ESL student, these sentences are from an introductory English course open majorly to native speakers. I can figure out some of them but definitely not all. Just hoping to get some help from the forum.. This is not an assignment, it is just a practice that's not to be handed in. Thank you so much!!!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, vcly.

We ask members to try themselves first, and post their efforts here for us to look at. There is little point in our spending time on those that you answer correctly. In those where you have made a mistake, the mistake you make could help us give you useful guidance.

vcly

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
These are my corrections so far. My prof is not only looking for correctness in grammar and etc., he is looking to let us improve the wording and sentence structures as well.
1)To err is human, to forgive is divine. For this reason, one should be open-minded about other people's faults.
2)The sporting goods store at the corner is having a sale on hockey equipments.
3)As a result, talks between players and owners broke down, and no new talks have been scheduled.
4)Last night, a dinner was held to raise money for the flood victims. The dinner consisted of: soup for the starter, a choice of fish or beef for the entree and ice cream for dessert.
5)Last year’s winter was extremely cold. When spring finally arrived, everyone was agog to enjoy as much of the good whether as they could.
6)Everybody made sure they had their parkas, gloves and boots ready before another winter’s arrival with blustery wind and sub-zero coldness.
7)It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Looking back at the past, things seem as uncertain and chaotic as before.
8)Murray Sinclair and A. C. Hamilton, "since the time of earliest contact, Aboriginal people and European settlers have seen things from vastly different points of view because their attitudes and philosophies differed. The interaction between the two groups has been characterized as one of 'cooperation and conflict but, more importantly, by misconception and contradictions" (p. 368). Also, "at first, these differences had minimal impact on most Aboriginal people” (p 368).
9)The store at the corner is having a sale on eggs. Down the street at Sobeys the price of meat is going up; this is bad, my loan doesn't come in for 3 weeks. Which is even worse.
10)When I look through the window, I see the sun is shining. I think it is going to be an extremely nice day.

Thank you very much!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
These are my corrections so far. My prof is not only looking for correctness in grammar [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] etc., he is looking to let us improve the wording and sentence structures as well.

In that case, let him see your corrections first. He wants to know what you can do and gets paid for it.

Note that 'etc' means and 'and other things'/'and the rest'/'and so on'. It is tautologous to write 'and' before it.

Status
Not open for further replies.