Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Canada
Hi everyone!

I was taking swimming lessons in the pool with two other guys, and the instructor asks us to do sth in whatever order that we like (ie who goes first, who second and who last). So the other two guys didn't want to go first, so they both said a slang which i had never heard of and is driving me crazy. it sounded sth like "shadi not", meaning "not me"! So I had to go first. I assume it's something like "bunny up" to decide who goes first, but obviously in reverse order!

Anyway, I can't find the exact slang. So do you may be know what it is? It's killing me!

Thanks
Milad

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In BrE, you could use bagsy not, but it doesn't sound right here.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi everyone!

I was taking swimming lessons in the pool with two other guys, and the instructor asks us to go in whatever order that we liked (i.e. who goes first, who second, and who last). The other two guys didn't want to go first, so they both said a slang term that I had never heard of, and it's driving me crazy. It sounded something like "shadi not", meaning "not me"! So I had to go first. I assume it's something like "bunny up" to decide who goes first, but obviously in reverse order!

Anyway, I can't find the exact slang expression. Do you maybe know what it is? It's killing me!

Thanks,

Milad

I speak American English, and I've never heard anything like it.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi everyone!

I was taking swimming lessons in the pool with two other guys, and the instructor asks us to do sth in whatever order that we like (ie who goes first, who second and who last). So the other two guys didn't want to go first, so they both said a slang which i had never heard of and is driving me crazy. it sounded sth like "shadi not", meaning "not me"! So I had to go first. I assume it's something like "bunny up" to decide who goes first, but obviously in reverse order!

Anyway, I can't find the exact slang. So do you may be know what it is? It's killing me!

Thanks
Milad

According to your profile, you are an Iranian living in Canada. Could you please tell us the origin of the other guys (if you know it), so we can at least try to guess what they are saying?

RandomGurl01

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Maybe they said, "shotgun, not me." 'Shotgun' is a slang, meaning if someone in a group is the first person to say "shotgun", that person will make the first decisions for themselves on their own behalf. This is done in a playful manner.

Mrfatso

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
I belive the entomology of the phrase 'shotgun ' comes from the era of Stagecoaches, the driver would sit on one seat, the guard armed with this type of weapon would sit next to him. The idea of a person claiming the passenger seat of a car, by saying 'shotgun' came about, and eventually it morphed into people saying it to claim the right to go next in any situation. It is common in AmE, but not BrE.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

It sounded sth like "shadi not".

I think that "shotgun" is indeed the answer here, although the person probably said "Shotty not ...".
See this Urban dictionary link and the example "Shotty not taking out the trash".
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Shotty

I have heard "shotty" used to mean a shotgun, but only in direct reference to the firearm.

Status
Not open for further replies.