Why Australian accents is so hard to understand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetDevil

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
Australia
Hi,
I am new to this site and even new in Australia and i am really surprised to see that Australians inflect upwards at the end of a sentence. They sound as though they are permanently asking questions even though they are not and i want to know why they talk like that,why there accent is different from British,American's and Indian's accents ???
:?:

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I find Australian English both clear and aesthetically pleasing. You're just not used to it.

NetDevil

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
Australia
I find Australian English both clear and aesthetically pleasing. You're just not used to it.

Yeah, maybe this is the main reason but i am trying to learning it specially talking like Aussie's :D . Are you from Australia??

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yeah, maybe this is the main reason but i am trying to learning it specially talking like Aussie's :D . Are you from Australia??
You can see a person's profile by clicking on their Member info. I'm from Aus, and not all of us end a sentence with upward inflection. This habit is regional. Are you attributing the difficulty of AusE to the upward inflection? I haven't heard of that before.
Where are you staying?

NetDevil

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
Australia
You can see a person's profile by clicking on their Member info. I'm from Aus, and not all of us end a sentence with upward inflection. This habit is regional. Are you attributing the difficulty of AusE to the upward inflection? I haven't heard of that before.
Where are you staying?
As i am Indian my friend so i am not so much [FONT=arial, sans-serif]familiar with Australian accent and yes i live in Victoria.[/FONT]

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't know if it's an official term but it is known in the UK as "Australian Questioning Intonation", or AQI. It's regional, although American teenagers seem to be developing the same habit, and you will just have to learn to get used to it.

Remember that it is very important to capitalise the word "I" at all times in written English. Please try to use a consistent font, font size and font colour.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Like Raymott, I find it strange that this feature causes such problems. It may lead to misinterpreting a statement as a question, but that should soon pass. I don't have problems understanding most Australians that I meet, though things might be different if I ever visited the more remote parts. (British English speaker)

Status
Not open for further replies.