Post Thanks / Like

Default playing around with food?

.... I need to be fit... so i eat conscientiously at lunchtime. i put on Mozart and play around with food, which is a wonderful way of engaging other senses than the ones i use all day.

here what does it mean by play around with food ? Also, what does.. engaging other sensnes than the ones i use all day mean?

pleas help me!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: playing around with food?

hello!
    'Playing around with food' means touching and moving around the food in your plate without actually bringing it to your mouth.It's usually done when someone isn't hungry or doesn't really like what he's eating (children especially) or else as a sign of nervousness.
    In this case,it is probably being done to prolong the time spent in eating so that it seems as if he has eaten a lot (but actually hasn't)
    For example,when I don't want to eat a lot,I usually choose giant prawns from the menu so that I spend more time in arriving to the 'juicy part'

'engaging other senses...' Well,he's listening to Mozart.He uses the sense of hearing everyday but perhaps listening to Mozart awakes other 'feelings'.The five senses are sight,touch,smell,taste and sound(hearing)-so I'd say at the very moment he's using one less-taste
    I would explain it more as having more awareness at the moment.

Hope to see tdol's view on this as well.

Have I been of any help???

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for your help, but I am still confused about the second part which starts,, which is a wonderful way of eagaging..... Could you be more specific?

Post Thanks / Like

So,...what I think he really means is that instead of having lunch just for the sake of eating,as we all do,he's making a 'special event' out of it.He stops to enjoy it and to make the most of it.In doing so he derives more pleasure out of the atmosphere than out of the food itself.Also,as everyone knows,eating slowly is important for our health and as he wants to be fit,that's exactly what he is doing.I'll just copy and paste this article:
    Eat Slowly
    Some people regard eating as just a routine and gobble up food very quickly. For others, eating is an enjoyable, satisfying and fulfilling experience. Whether you enjoy eating or not, eating slowly is important for our health.
    When we eat slowly, the process of chewing and mixing foods in our mouth with saliva is the first step in digestion. The more we chew our foods, the less work is needed to digest them. It reduces the burden on our digestive system, improves absorption and speeds up the passing of foods through our digestive tract. For people who are constantly experiencing bloating, stomach pain or heartburn after eating, they are eating too fast and are causing indigestion.
    The other benefit of eating slowly is to prevent over eating. By eating slowing, we allow the stomach to signal the brain when we have eaten enough before we have eaten too much. For people who want to eat less, eating slowly is most effective.

If it still isn't clear to you,I'll leave it in the hands of the professionals!