• China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default variably etc

Dear teachers,

I have four questions to ask:

No.1

If you go to the park every day in the morning, you will _____ find him doing physical exercise there.

a. variably b. persistently c. ordinarily d. logically

The key is "b". But I don't think there is key to this choice. If it is "a' it should be "invariably ". Is that right?

No.2

They believed that this was not the ____ of their campaingn for equality but merely the beginning.

a. climax b. summit

The key is "a". My question is why "b" isn't correct since we can say the summit of achievement.

No.3

Understanding the cultural habits of another nation, especially ______containing as many different subcultures as the United States, is a complex task.

a. one b. the one

The key is "a". My question is: Is "b" possible?

No.4

For the new country to survive, _______ for its people to enjoy prosperity, new economic policies will be required.

a. let alone b. let's say c. to name a few d. not to speak
    The key is "a". What does the sentence mean then? I think 'b' is the key.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: variably etc

If you go to the park every day in the morning, you will _____ find him doing physical exercise there.

a. variably b. persistently c. ordinarily d. logically

The key is "b". But I don't think there is key to this choice. If it is "a' it should be "invariably ". Is that right?
    "always": a. variably
    "always": invariably
    "always": b. persistently

They believed that this was not the ____ of their campaign for equality but merely the beginning.

a. climax b. summit

The key is "a". My question is why "b" isn't correct since we can say the summit of achievement.
    "climax" as in turning point.

Understanding the cultural habits of another nation, especially ______containing as many different subcultures as the United States, is a complex task.

a. one b. the one

The key is "a". My question is: Is "b" possible?
    ". . . of another nation, especially a nation (i.e., non-specific one, not specific the one) like the United States, [for example] . . . ." The USA is an example, not the example.

For the new country to survive, _______ for its people to enjoy prosperity, new economic policies will be required.

a. let alone b. let's say c. to name a few d. not to speak
    The key is "a". What does the sentence mean then? I think 'b' is the key.
    let alone means, not only that but this too, whereas let's say means, for example.

jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I still have problems as to variably etc

Dear Cas,

Thank you very much for your explanation. I'd like to make sure I fully understand you as far as No.1 and No.3 are concerned. And I don't understand your explanation to No.2 and No.4.

No.1
    "variably" is incorrect. "invariably" and "persistently" are correct.
    No.2
    "summit" is incorrect?
    No.3
    "the one" is incorrect
    No.4
    My dictionary defines "let alone" the following way:

Let alone is used to say that something is not at all likely to happen, because something more likely has never happened.

That's something different from you definition. So could you please tell me the key to this sentence?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    "always": a. variably
    "always": invariably
    "always": b. persistently

"climax" as in turning point.

". . . of another nation, especially a nation (i.e., non-specific one, not specific the one) like the United States, [for example] . . . ." The USA is an example, not the example.

let alone means, not only that but this too, whereas let's say means, for example.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I still have problems as to variably etc

No.2
    "summit" is incorrect?
    "climax" is the better choice. It expresses, the most intense, exciting, or important point of something. Note that, "summit" is synonymous with "peak", which is in turn near synonymous with "climax", but they are not true synonyms.

No.3
    "the one" is incorrect
    Understanding the cultural habits of another nation, especially the one containing as many different subcultures as the United States, is a complex task. How would you argue for its grammaticality?

No.4
    My dictionary defines "let alone" the following way:

Let alone is used to say that something is not at all likely to happen, because something more likely has never happened.
    let alone, idiomatic, much less, not to mention. Used to state an alternative. Read more here: http://www.allwords.com/word-let%20alone.html
    Last edited by Casiopea; 03-Apr-2006 at 04:23.

jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I still have problems as to variably etc

Dear Cas,
    Now I see. Many thanks!

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    "climax" is the better choice. It expresses, the most intense, exciting, or important point of something. Note that, "summit" is synonymous with "peak", which is in turn near synonymous with "climax", but they are not true synonyms.

Understanding the cultural habits of another nation, especially the one containing as many different subcultures as the United States, is a complex task. How would you argue for its grammaticality?

let alone, idiomatic, much less, not to mention. Used to state an alternative. Read more here: http://www.allwords.com/word-let%20alone.html