English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Vietnam
Hello,

I am new to teaching ESL (I just graduated college in May 2013) and I have a question. What do you think is the best way to go about teaching grammar to 12-13 year olds who have already had a good amount of english classes? I am working for an English center in Hanoi, Vietnam, and I have noticed that my students are really struggling with grammar. Although I am able to understand what they are trying to say most of the time, their writing and speaking is full of grammatical errors that make it difficult to fully comprehend their sentences. I am currently unsure about where to begin re-teaching grammar with these students..... Help?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Can you work on anything without actually just going over the rules? Often students have had the rules drummed into them, but what they don't get is the opportunity to practise the structures in a context. What are their main difficulties? Communicative games and activities that focus on structures in a less obtrusive way than grammar rules might help.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I like Tdol's suggestion. You could also try a mixed variety of inductive and deductive approaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.