VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
1. The Great Pyramid has been built in Egypt.
2. The Great Pyramid was built in Egypt millennia ago.

Are they grammatical?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
The first one is incorrect.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If someone decided to build a replica of the Great Pyramid, you would be able to say (soon after it was completed), "A replica of the Great Pyramid has been built in Egypt". It doesn't work if you are just trying to say that the Great Pyramid is located in Egypt.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
This page says "Use the Present Perfect to talk about actions that happened at some point in the past. It does not matter when exactly they happened".
Since the pyramid was built in the past, why can't the present perfect be used in #1?

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Let's imagine:

If someone said to you, "I/They have build the Great Pyramid in Egypt", would it sound natural to you?
It sounds as if it(=the act of building it) had occurred/happened in the recent past, doesn't it?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Let's imagine: If someone said to you, "I/They have build the Great Pyramid in Egypt"?
tzfujimino, I can't imagine how the pyramid builders could still be alive and say it to me, unless they were immortal.

It sounds as if it(=the act of building it) had occurred/happened in the recent past, doesn't it?
This page says "It does not matter when exactly they happened", so I guess it doesn't matter whether it happened in the recent past or millennia ago. Do I guess wrongly?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Those of us who have replied so far disagree with what you have read on 'this page'.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Not only this page(1).
This page(2) says "an action happened at an unspecified time before now. The exact time is not important. "
This page(3) says "It is not important when we did it"
This page(4) says "
Unspecified point in the past".

Do all of you disagree with all of them? Last time 5jj told me to be cautious about Chinese sites, does this caution apply to English sites too?

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
...so I guess it doesn't matter whether it happened in the recent past or millennia ago. Do I guess wrongly?

I am not a teacher.

What do you mean by this constant use of "guess"? Do you apply the same meaning to it each time?

Is it "think", "conclude", "suppose", "surmise"? I'm just guessing.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
This page says "It does not matter when exactly they happened", so I guess it doesn't matter whether it happened in the recent past or millennia ago. Do I guess wrongly?

There has to be some sort of connection to now- the connection to now of the Great Pyramid is the fact that it's still standing, not the construction. The construction belongs only to the past.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here are some VERY general guidelines from a non-teacher who can't quote sources but just observes.

Use the present perfect if:
1) It is very recent news: The Mets have won the World Series! (Said as the team is jumping up and down on the field.)
2) It is connected to the present conversation/situation: Have you fed the dogs? Yes, I've fed them.
3) It was started in the past and continues to this moment: I've worked here (or I"ve been working here) since June.
4) It was at a non-defined time in the past and it could still happen again: Oh, I've eaten at that restaurant. It's good.

In general, if it can no longer happen again, and/or has no connecting to the current situation use the simple past.
The restaurant is now closed: Oh, I ate there once It was good. Too bad it closed.)
I now work somewhere else: I worked there.
The person is dead: I knew him for 25 years
I no longer travel: I went to France, but I never got to see the Louvre

EDITED to change "past" to "present" - written in error and hopefully without causing too much confusion.

Last edited:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I am not a teacher. What do you mean by this constant use of "guess"?
I will say "guess" if I am not sure about what I am going to say. For example, I guess you don't have to say "I am not a teacher" when you are asking a question.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

Maybe it's because I am English that I follow blindly, without thinking, the posting guidelines,

If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly at the top of your post.

OR, maybe it's just easier to always have that phrase at the top of my posts so I don't have to worry about forgetting it.
Did you ask Barb_D about her signature too?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
We ask people to state that they are not a teacher when responding to a question in this 'Ask a Teacher' forum. There is no need if you are asking a question, but it does no harm at all. And, as Roman said, if it's always there you don't have to worry about forgetting it.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Last time 5jj told me to be cautious about Chinese sites, does this caution apply to English sites too?
Yes, of course it does. Any Tom, Dick or Harry can set up a site and give the impression of being an expert. Those site you linked us to did not seem bad, but they were a little superficial.

We don't claim to be infallible here, but the regular responders have more than a couple of hundred years' teaching experience between them, quite apart from their academic and teaching qualifications. We also have people with experience outside teaching, doctors, vets, engineers writers, etc. And, the great advantage of this forum is that you don't have to just take the word of the first person to respond. If one of us happens to give a suspect answer, there are plenty of other people to pick it up.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Indeed, we don't let each other get away with giving answers we disagree with. We try to do it politely, but I know I have certainly said things that were wrong and have been corrected. Sometimes, I wrote the wrong thing because I was careless. But there have been times when I was simply mistaken. The best thing you can do is say "I didn't know that. Thanks for correcting my mistake before other learners took away wrong information." (Or your own version of those words.)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
This page says "Use the Present Perfect to talk about actions that happened at some point in the past. It does not matter when exactly they happened".
Since the pyramid was built in the past, why can't the present perfect be used in #1?
Because that site is very basic, and does not list all the necessary information.
I also wouldn't trust it, because it has no apparent author, no date, there's no indication at all of what authority is behind it. Apparently you can leave a comment there, but you have to subscribe to read comments. Maybe you should post your question on the site?

Status
Not open for further replies.