Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,

I'm curious if anyone on this site has experienced problems or difficulties due to cultural misunderstandings between teachers and students. What was the situation, and how did you handle it? I'm asking because I'm interested in how often these types of problems occur and how teachers were able to successfully resolve the situation. Thanks!

Kate

Funelteacher

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
HI:)

I've been teaching Chinese students for a while and when I started working with them I definitely struggled with the problems the different cultural setting causes. For me the key was to educate myself and read some books about their culture and rely on activities which they are familiar with. In addition, I always train them how to work in my class, and exlpain to them what's going on as they might not understand what you want from them. Different educational background, cultural schema and so on.

Be curious about their culture and frequently ask culture related questions, be friendly and nice. If they see that you're interested in them, they'll work for you as little angels:)

Hope this helps:)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Do you mean serious problems?

katep830

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not thinking of a specific situation - so examples of serious situations would be relevant, but I would also be interested in hearing about situations that aren't so serious. I'm also wondering how these situations impact teaching methods and teacher-student relations.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Have you already tried mediating class discussions on cultural differences?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Over the years and in a number of countries, I have experienced very few such issues. I had, for instance, a woman who was lurking in the classroom because she didn't want to leave before I did, as a male, but we soon agreed that on odd days I would leave first and on even she would.

Status
Not open for further replies.