[General] The use of brackets and commas

• Thread starter B45
  • Start date
  • Views : 1,952
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

Right now, I'm deciding if I should join Jack(who's also a fellow I met on lonelyplanet)in Thailand and Malaysia sometime in early May.

VS

Right now, I'm deciding if I should join Jack, who's also a fellow I met on lonelyplanet, in Thailand and Malaysia sometime in early May.

I want to use the commas, but it would make it sound like I met him on a lonelyplanet in Thailand, when lonelyplanet is a website for travelers. That's why I changed the commas into brackets.

Are both sentences okay?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"Right now, I'm deciding if I should join Jack, who's also a fellow I met on lonelyplanet, in Thailand and Malaysia sometime in early May."

Perfect standard punctuation. I doubt that there is a style manual in the world that would disagree. Why mess with that?

B

B45

Wow, thank you so much Probus. I just want to say that although I've only been on this forum for a week, my English has already improved leaps and bounds, and it's because of moderators like you who have helped me achieved this. Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Why the use of "also"? Have you recently been talking about another guy you met there?

Should "lonelyplanet" be capitalized?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Right now, I'm deciding if I should join Jack(who's also a fellow I met on lonelyplanet)in Thailand and Malaysia sometime in early May.
If you decide to use brackets, you need a space before and after them - "... Jack (who's also a fellow I met on lonelyplanet) in Thailand ..."

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

I think there is less room for error by using brackets.

A misplaced comma changes the meaning; brackets are harder to misplace.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Instead of who's also a fellow,you could use another fellow. By the way, fellow in this sense is a bit old-fashioned in British English.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In AmE we prefer guy to fellow. Has this usage taken hold in BrE? Or what would you say instead of fellow?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Guy is common in BrE too.

Status
Not open for further replies.