Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
The hardest thing in a foreign language is the appropriate use of words in specific contexts ...

Here - the difference between boundary and borderline

The original sentence goes like this:
"The boundary/borderline between the different levels of meaning was intentionally blurred."

I personally tend towards borderline but I have nothing to base this on.

Any opinion out there? Thank you as always ...

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I don't think either of those words is appropriate in the sentence. If there are "two levels of meaning" they should be discrete; there would not be a boundary between them that one could approach from either side. The sentence (or whatever we are dealing with) might be ambiguous, but that's a quantum leap from one interpretation to the other, not a slow creep toward a blurred borderline. Maybe "The different meanings were intentionally blurred" would solve the problem.

Arteberlina

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hallo Raymott,

I totally see what you are aiming at and appreciate a lot! The different levels of meaning are e.g. social, biographical and aesthetic. Although I called them different levels they are not in a physical sense. They are discrete on a level of interpretation but blurred in real life and I am missing something with just saying "The different meanings were intentionally blurred"

Maybe something with realm instead of level because I agree on this not being sharp ... ?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
If you've given anough context, eg. if you already stated that there are different 'levels or realms' of meaning, then I think that's enough justification for using your original sentence. In any case, I think "boundary" is the better term for this sort of thing, because you can have broad or blurred boundaries, but a blurred borderline is still a line.
None of this is critical though. It's a matter of style, and it's just my opinion.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The different categories of meaning?

Arteberlina

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I see what you mean ... maybe I have to reconsider the term 'level' then ... I will revisit the phrase. Thank you.

Arteberlina

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
categories ... possibly

and then ... would you go with borderline or boundary?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Either word would work.

Status