• Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "Yeah, but he had/has the best reviews out of all the other doctors, that's why I cho

My son telling me that he regrets getting LASIK eye surgery. He says:

"Yeah, but he had/has the best reviews out of all the other doctors, that's why I chose him!"

Are both okay here?

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "Yeah, but he had/has the best reviews out of all the other doctors, that's why I

Quote Originally Posted by Batman45 View Post
    "Yeah, but he had/has the best reviews out of all the other doctors, that's why I chose him!"
    Are both okay here?
    'Had' is better. He was chosen for the reviews he had, not the ones he has now. You could use 'has' if the reviews haven't changed.

But the sentence is wrong. He can't have had the best reviews out of all the other doctors. His reviews don't belong to those of all the other doctors. He had the best reviews of all the doctors. His reviews were better than those of all the other doctors.

Batman45 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "Yeah, but he had/has the best reviews out of all the other doctors, that's why I

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    'Had' is better. He was chosen for the reviews he had, not the ones he has now. You could use 'has' if the reviews haven't changed.

But the sentence is wrong. He can't have had the best reviews out of all the other doctors. His reviews don't belong to those of all the other doctors. He had the best reviews of all the doctors. His reviews were better than those of all the other doctors.
    I don't understand why I can't have other doctors. Could you please simplify it for me? Doesn't it just mean out of the other doctors he had the best reviews?

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Batman45 View Post
    Doesn't it just mean out of the other doctors he had the best reviews?
    He can't have the best reviews out of the other doctors, unless he's one of the other doctors - which he isn't. One of these other doctors has to have the best reviews out of that group of "other doctors".
    Let's say our doctor works in Clinic A and the other doctors work in Clinic B. Our doctor has the best reviews, but he doesn't have the best reviews out of the doctors working in Clinic B (ie. out of the other doctors).

Another example. "Mary is the prettiest out of Lisa, Jane, and Helen." No! Mary doesn't belong to the set/group {Lisa, Jane, Helen}. Either Lisa or Jane or Helen has to be the prettiest out of Lisa, Jane, and Helen. Mary can be the prettiest out of the four girls, but she can't be the prettiest out of the other three.

Batman45 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    He can't have the best reviews out of the other doctors, unless he's one of the other doctors - which he isn't. One of these other doctors has to have the best reviews out of that group of "other doctors".
    Let's say our doctor works in Clinic A and the other doctors work in Clinic B. Our doctor has the best reviews, but he doesn't have the best reviews out of the doctors working in Clinic B (ie. out of the other doctors).
    Oh wow! That cleared things up a lot! Thank you so much!