Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
A couple of websites I own fell victim to hacker attacks yesterday and it caused me an enormous amount of trouble. I spent all day trying to resolve the problem and in so doing at one point ended up watching some video tutorials on Google Webmaster Tools. To cut a long story short, I came across something new, for me at least, and thought it worth mentioning.

The discourse went along the lines of, "the hacker this" and "the hacker that" and, "she might be trying to...", and "what might be her motivations?" and so on. He, him or his were never mentioned. Have I missed an evolution in the English language?

I am aware of gender neutrality, although I don't subscribe to it myself, but this is taking things to new heights. Or is it just Californian English?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
When I was doing my Master's at the Institute of Education, London University there were a couple of lecturers who used she for teachers, but this didn't strike me as natural. I haven't come across this for hackers, but I am a Linux user and we tend to be exempt from much of this trouble.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
This has been around since the 80s, at least, but it's not that common. Yes, it's a type of affirmative action. I believe it originated in American universities. A few American text books that I've used in my various studies alternate chapters with the use of the non-specific personal pronouns in this way.
In some cases, I've noticed that if a profession is traditionally female, eg. nursing, the author will use 'he'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would say that it was someone trying to forcibly feminise something, rather than aiming for equality. Generally, we use "they" for an unspecified gender although many people don't like it.

"When the hacker does XXX, they might be trying to ..."

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I would say that it was someone trying to forcibly feminise something, rather than aiming for equality. Generally, we use "they" for an unspecified gender although many people don't like it.

"When the hacker does XXX, they might be trying to ..."

I agree that's what we say nowadays. I hate it, and it is so easy to render unnecessary, but it is what we say.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I agree that's what we say nowadays. I hate it, and it is so easy to render unnecessary, but it is what we say.
OK, I'll bite. How is it so easy to render unnecessary?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
One can use he/she or rephrase the sentence in the plural.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
One can use he/she or rephrase the sentence in the plural.

For the singular, I use (s)he, which is shorter. But I don't do any very formal writing so I don't worry about it. "(s)he" also avoids the problem of having to choose which gender to put first; the ladies just are first.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.