Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Croatian
Home Country
Croatia
Current Location
Croatia
"Angel in disguise" - I've read some explanations on the Internet but they differ, so what would it mean?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What are the different definitions/explanations you have found on the net?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
As a devil in disguise is someone bad who looks good or beautiful, I would guess that an angel in disguise is the opposite.

Fear not only believe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Croatian
Home Country
Croatia
Current Location
Croatia
What are the different definitions/explanations you have found on the net?
Literally: "prolly sum1 who pretends to be sweet and innocent but wen there not around certain ppl there really crazy and loud or devilish."

and the other one: "An Angel in Disguise is term referred to a person with a kind heart. A person who is always ready to help out others. This type of person is looked at as an angel in human form and thus the term Angel in Disguise. She is an Angel in Disguise."

The usage in this song seems to confirm the second definition http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo6MzvgdDEY

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Literally: "prolly sum1 who pretends to be sweet and innocent but wen there not around certain ppl there really crazy and loud or devilish."

I wouldn't trust the opinion/definition of anyone who writes like that! And to prove that point, their understanding of the phrase is completely wrong.

For the benefit of any learners who can't work out what it's meant to say, here's the translation in real English: "Probably someone who pretends to be sweet and innocent but when they're not around certain people, they're really crazy and loud or devilish".

Fear not only believe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Croatian
Home Country
Croatia
Current Location
Croatia
I wouldn't trust the opinion/definition of anyone who writes like that! And to prove that point, their understanding of the phrase is completely wrong.

For the benefit of any learners who can't work out what it's meant to say, here's the translation in real English: "Probably someone who pretends to be sweet and innocent but when they're not around certain people, they're really crazy and loud or devilish".
So, the other definition is right?

P.S.
A bit off-topic, but wouldn't that kind of writing indicate that the person is surely a native speaker who ought to know (yet obviously doesn't) the true meaning of the expression, but is only too lazy to write properly? :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.