Student or Learner
Native Language
Azerbaijani
Home Country
Anguilla
Current Location
Albania
Hi folks,
Not so long ago, I had the pleasure of reading one of Boris Johnson’s clumns for the newspaper, namely “Riding my broken bike is like working with the Lib Dems”, which was very entertaining as well as informative. Aren’t these qualities in general applicable to most writings published by the current mayor of London? Presumably, they are.
So here is my question. Mr Johnson refers to his bike as “Old Bikey” several times in this column. For instance, once he states “Old Bikey had survived every prang and prangette that goes with urban commuting: […]”. What stylistic device is that? Since the bike “had survived” several threats and bikes, unlike human beings, normally cannot survive anything, I would say that, to some extent, we’ve got a personification here. But generally, what stylistic device is calling one’s bicycle “Old Bikey”?

Thank you very much for your time and your answers. Cheers!
Best wishes
Frank
By the way: the column in question is accessible online at: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...n-bike-is-like-working-with-the-Lib-Dems.html

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Anthropomorphism?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Calling one's bicycle Old Bikey isn't a figurative device at all. The personification/anthropomorphism comes with attributing human attributes to it. They often go together though.

frankj

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Azerbaijani
Home Country
Anguilla
Current Location
Albania
Hello,
Thank you for your answers. I did't know the term anthropomorphism until today, so this shows that leraning never stops :)
Thanks!
Frank

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It starts as a nickname, but becomes anthropomorphic when it acquires human characteristics.

Status
Not open for further replies.