Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Tunisia
Current Location
Tunisia
Dear teachers,

Here is another exercise about tenses. I always have doubts about which tense to choose in some cases. Would you please tell me why some of them are not correct?

Allison has to go to a meeting which begins at 10 o'clock the following day. It (1) is going to last / will last about an hour.

Mark: (2) Shall we meet tomorrow? [Shall and not will to make a suggestion?]
Allison: Yes, but not in the afternoon. I (3) work [that's incorrect I suppose] / am working / will be working.

Mark: (4) Are you going to be free / Will you be free at 11.30?
(5) Are you seeing / Will you see / Will you be seeing Laura at work?

Allison: Yes, probably. why?

Mark: I (6) have borrowed / borrowed this CD from her. (7) Can / Could / Would you give it back to her?

Ben is on holiday and he is spending his money very quickly. If he continues like this, he (8) will spend [possible here or not?] / will have spent all his money before the end of his holiday.

Thank you again for your help.
Hela

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Dear teachers,

Here is another exercise about tenses. I always have doubts about which tense to choose in some cases. Would you please tell me why some of them are not correct?

Allison has to go to a meeting which begins at 10 o'clock the following day. It (1) is going to last / will last about an hour. Both are fine. In my opinion the "going to" construction can always be substituted for the future tense without change of meaning. However, in some very formal writing it might seem inappropriate.

Mark: (2) Shall we meet tomorrow? [Shall and not will to make a suggestion?] Yes.
Allison: Yes, but not in the afternoon. I (3) work [that's incorrect I suppose Agreed] I'm working / will be working.

Mark: (4) Are you going to be free / Will you be free at 11.30?
(5) Are you seeing / Will you see / Will you be seeing Laura at work? "Are you seeing Laura?" means "Are you dating Laura?" Adding "at work throws it off and makes its meaning uncertain.

Allison: Yes, probably. why?

Mark: I (6) have borrowed / borrowed this CD from her. (7) Can / Could / Would you give it back to her?

Ben is on holiday and he is spending his money very quickly. If he continues like this, he (8) will spend [possible here or not? Entirely possible] / will have spent all his money before the end of his holiday.

Thank you again for your help.
Hela
:)

hela

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Tunisia
Current Location
Tunisia
Thank you, Probus

#6 Do you see any difference in meaning between "have borrowed" and "borrowed"?

All the best

Status
Not open for further replies.