Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Why is that some people, especially in Britain, pronounce the names of the days in a non-standard way?

For example, some people say /ˈθɜː(r)zdɪ/ instead of /ˈθɜː(r)zdeɪ/, or /ˈsʌndɪ/ instead of /ˈsʌndeɪ/.

Is it common, uneducated, childlike-sounding, etc ?

Big thanks :up:

PHenry1026

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Last edited:
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
I do not believe that the pronunciations you outlined is for standard BrE. See the following links for a side by side U.K. and U.S. pronunciations of Thursday and Saturday:

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/thursday?q=Thursday#

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/sunday?q=Sunday#

;-) Percy

mmm I'm pretty sure they are standard British pronunciations, I've taken them from the Macmillan Dictionary.

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/Thursday

Maybe the "r" in parenthesis is distracting, it just means that is optional in case you accent has rhoticity.

Last edited:

PHenry1026

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The r in the parenthesis means that it necessary in American English (AmE) but is not necessary or used in British English (BrE).

I am not sure but your McMillan link seems to confirm the Cambridge Dictionary.

;-) Percy

Last edited:
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
What I mean is that some people seem not to use the standard way, they say "thursdi" and no "thurday".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
What I mean is that some people seem not to use the standard way, they say "thursdi" and no "thurday".
It's common also in AusE. /m[FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode, sans-serif]ʌndi/, /tju:zdi/ etc. or halfway between standard and that variety. [/FONT]
Why do they do it? Quién sabe? In AusE, it would be described as part of a 'broad' accent which is associated with working class people and farmers, etc. But some educated people say it quick speech as well.

N Senbei

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello salvador.dal1950,

The following is a quotation from “Longman Pronunciation Dictionary” by John Wells.

-day /deɪ, di/
Although Received Pronunciation and General American are both traditionally considered to prefer /di/, most speakers in practice use both pronunciations for this suffix, often in a strong form—weak form relationship. The /deɪ/ form is generally preferred in exposed positions, for example at the end of a sentence: I’ll do it on Monday /ˈmʌn deɪ/ ; the /di/ form is preferred in close-knit expressions such as Monday morning /ˌmʌnd i ˈmɔː(r)n ɪŋ/.

Hope this helps

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Hello salvador.dal1950,

The following is a quotation from “Longman Pronunciation Dictionary” by John Wells.

-day /deɪ, di/
Although Received Pronunciation and General American are both traditionally considered to prefer /di/, most speakers in practice use both pronunciations for this suffix, often in a strong form—weak form relationship. The /deɪ/ form is generally preferred in exposed positions, for example at the end of a sentence: I’ll do it on Monday /ˈmʌn deɪ/ ; the /di/ form is preferred in close-knit expressions such as Monday morning /ˌmʌnd i ˈmɔː(r)n ɪŋ/.

Hope this helps

Wow this is spot on! Many thanks! :-D

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The /deɪ/ form is also found more in some regions in BrE- I am from the Midlands, and /deɪ/ is used at times where many would use /di/.

Status
Not open for further replies.