[General] Omitting "I" when starting email?

Status
Not open for further replies.

limatan

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
UK
Hi all,

Due to the strict sentence order in English one often comes into the situation of having to write something like

Dear Martin,
I am wondering whether next Monday ...

Am curious whether it is possible to simple omit the "I" at the beginning of a not super formal email and just to start with

Dear Martin,
Am wondering whether next Monday ...

instead.

What are your thoughts about this construction?

Tom

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It would be OK in an informal email- people do that sort of thing to save typing. You could also start with Wondering....

limatan

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
UK
Thanks a lot for your help Tdol! In fact German people (like me) get told in school that one should never start a letter with I as it sounds very egocentric. I know that at least Americans don't have such a problem with that ... but I still have ;) So its great to know now I can avoid it (at least in informal emails) :)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Well, you can do it when writing to Tdol. I'd find it very irritating if someone kept sending me emails like that.
I'd also find it very irritating if you made a habit of writing "Am curious..." in your posts.
Beginning a letter with 'I' carries no stigma in English.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In fact German people (like me) get told in school that one should never start a letter with I as it sounds very egocentric.

I am writing to is a common opening to letters in English, so there's nothing wrong with using I.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Well, you can do it when writing to Tdol. I'd find it very irritating if someone kept sending me emails like that.
I'd also find it very irritating if you made a habit of writing "Am curious..." in your posts.
Beginning a letter with 'I' carries no stigma in English.

I agree it carries no stigma. But I often prefer to omit the "I" in casual conversations with close friends. No good reason, just a question of style, or more correctly, fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.