Academic
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Switzerland
Hi all,

lately I have been listening to a podcast presented by two US-american guys, I think they are from Georgia.
I have noticed something in their way of speaking that I find kind of peculiar. They often double the word "is". Maybe I just mishear?

For example something like: "The problem is is that..." or "The thing is is that..."

Is this typical for colloquial American English? Is it just something used in Georgia? Do people in the UK, New Zealand or Southafrica do this as well?

I find it weird but I feel like I'm already starting to adopt it in my mind, because I have been listening to them so often lately ;-)

Best wishes!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I find it weird but I feel like I'm already starting to adopt it in my mind, because I have been listening to them so often lately ;-)
Don't do it! You'll sound like a hillbilly. (I'm not sure if they have hillbillies in Georgia technically).
Yes, you'll hear it in other dialects too, usually associated with "the reason is is that..."
There are some legitimate uses of two 'is' in a row. "What he is is a big bully!" But that can always be rephrased.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I haven't heard it in the UK- there may be some regions that use it, but I don't know where.

Status
Not open for further replies.