Thank goodness I know how to swim. It would've been so much harder for me, you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

Thank goodness I know how to swim. It would've been so much harder for me, you know? Like, I'm talking about when I was learning how to surf.

Can this be said during conversation? Is it grammatical?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Except for the word "like" it is grammatical. But it is not elegant.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Thank goodness I already knew how to swim when I was learning how to surf. Otherwise it would have been much harder for me, [you know?]"
Your sentences are OK. Plenty of people speak much worse than that. But strictly it's illogical - saying "you know" when you still haven't given enough information for the person to know anything. Also, "Like" is not needed; it's best not to pick up bad habits while you're learning.

B

B45

"Thank goodness I already knew how to swim when I was learning how to surf. Otherwise it would have been much harder for me, [you know?]"
Your sentences are OK. Plenty of people speak much worse than that. But strictly it's illogical - saying "you know" when you still haven't given enough information for the person to know anything. Also, "Like" is not needed; it's best not to pick up bad habits while you're learning.

What about:

It would've been so much harder to learn how to surf if I hadn't known how to swim.

VS

It would've been so much harder to learn how to surf if I didn't know how to swim.

Are both useable?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, I wold use either.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It would've been so much harder to learn how to surf if I hadn't already known how to swim.
It would've been so much harder to learn how to surf if I didn't already know how to swim.
The preferred wording for a third conditional (which your sentences are a type of) is the first. It is correct everywhere.
If you have to use the second, put 'already' in it too.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Already" is good, but not necessary. The context takes care of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.