[Essay] [ielts] Should children start learning foreign language as soon as they start school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuankhukhi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
There has been a controversial issue ever since foreign language has been phased in education as a main subject, over whether or not we should educate children foreign language at an early age. In my opinion, it will be of great importance to study a non-native language as soon as we go to school.
First of all, foreign language is on the demand for globalisation. The ever-growing world nowadays goes hand in hand with the fact that more countries are shacking hands thus a common language is to be needed. More and more international companies are settling down all over the world to expand their chain of production. For example, any competent candidate who knows foreign language will stand greater chances of enrolling in such firms as well as of promotion. That is to say, learning a foreign language at an early age will help us, not only intergrate with the modern world, but also pave a pathway to brighter future.
Secondly, when saying of learning foreign language, we can not help mentioning the importance of it in broadening our knowledge. Language is the bridge to a nation's culture. By learning language, we are provided with the tool to get access to a whole new world of horizon. Not to mention the fact that, we must have initially perfected our native language to grasp this new layer of understanding, which will assure a firm base.
Lastly, biologically speaking, it's blatant that kids, at an early age, will be more curious and that puts them at their own advantage. The reason adult find it difficult to engage themselves to a new language, and new stuff in general, is they lack of curiosity and creativity. By hanging around with family, career or other responsibility, people just create an invisible barier which prevents them from digging deeper into something else. They technically devoid of interest as well as excitement in learning, while kids, with their vivid imagination, will aspire to learning the new language with various different ways. They normally do not hesitate to try speaking foreign language because they have no concept of embarassment or fear of failure which will develop their skills more rapidly and naturally.
In a nutshell, learning a non-native language, at this day and age, will do nothing but good for children. With the above reason, parents should bring their children to any school that provides bilingual study to exploit the best out of the kids' potential.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum.

Do you have a question for us?

Benny P

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Australia
Hi tuankhukhi ,

I agree with you. Children should start learning a new language as soon as they start school because it helps develop their skills faster. Kids' brains are like sponges so probably to them, learning a new language may not be so difficult. In the future, it's always advantageous to be bilingual or even multilingual.
:up:

tuankhukhi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
i'm sorry i forgot to provide the question here.
Could you just review and rate my essay?
Thank you a lot.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There has been a controversial issue ever since foreign language has been phased in education as a main subject (May I assume that this is true in your country? It is not so in the US), over whether or not we should educate children in a foreign language at an early age. In my opinion, it will be of great importance to study a non-native language as soon as we go to school.
First of all, a foreign language is on the demand for globalisation. The ever-growing world (The world isn't growing it is about the same size as always) nowadays goes hand-in-hand with the fact that more countries are [STRIKE]shacking [/STRIKE] shaking hands, thus a common language is [STRIKE]to be[/STRIKE] needed. More and more international companies are settling down all over the world to expand their chain of production. For example, any competent candidate who knows a foreign language (Any foreign language? Would it help someone to learn the language of the Inuit?) will stand greater chances of [STRIKE]enrolling [/STRIKE] working in such firms as well as a better chance of promotion. That is to say, learning a foreign language at an early age will help us, not only [STRIKE]intergrate[/STRIKE] integrate with the modern world, but also pave a pathway to a brighter future.
Secondly, when [STRIKE]saying [/STRIKE] speaking of learning a foreign language, we can not help mentioning the importance of it in broadening our knowledge. Language is the bridge to a nation's culture. By learning language, we are provided with the tool to get access to a whole new world [STRIKE]of horizon[/STRIKE]. Not to mention the fact that we must have initially perfected our native language to grasp this new layer of understanding, which will assure a firm base.
Lastly, biologically speaking, it's [STRIKE]blatant [/STRIKE] clear that kids, at an early age, will be more curious and that puts them at[STRIKE] their own[/STRIKE] an advantage. The reason adults find it difficult to engage themselves [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] in a new language, and new stuff in general, is they lack [STRIKE] of [/STRIKE] curiosity and creativity (I doubt if this is true. Consider the case of Albert Einstein and Picasso). By hanging around with family, career or other [STRIKE]responsibility[/STRIKE] responsibilities, people just create an invisible [STRIKE]barier [/STRIKE] barrier which prevents them from digging deeper into something else. They are technically devoid of interest (What does this mean?) as well as excitement in learning, while kids, with their vivid imagination, will aspire to learning the new language [STRIKE]with [/STRIKE] in various different ways. They normally do not hesitate to try speaking a foreign language because they have no concept of [STRIKE]embarassment [/STRIKE] ​embarrassment or fear of failure which will develop their skills more rapidly and naturally.
In a nutshell, learning a non-native language, [STRIKE]at[/STRIKE] in this day and age (Really? In this day and age? Would it have been important for an Englishman to have learned Spanish in the 16th Century or for an American to have learned French in the 18th Century? Even the Crusaders of the Middle Ages had to learn the local languages as they pressed on toward Jerusalem), will do nothing but good for children. With the above reasons, parents should bring their children to any school that provides bilingual study to exploit the best out of the kids' potential.
Here are some items you should be aware of. Using "kids" is fine in informal writing but you should use "children" in this type of writing. You are, I fear, stuck in your century. Learning a new language has always been important. In the US it was the adults who first moved westward and they had to learn various Native-American languages as well as French and Spanish in certain areas. Your writing is clear, though you have made some mistakes in your choice of words and misspelled a couple of words. On a scale of one to 10, with 10 being the best, I would rate this at about a seven.

tuankhukhi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Here are some items you should be aware of. Using "kids" is fine in informal writing but you should use "children" in this type of writing. You are, I fear, stuck in your century. Learning a new language has always been important. In the US it was the adults who first moved westward and they had to learn various Native-American languages as well as French and Spanish in certain areas. Your writing is clear, though you have made some mistakes in your choice of words and misspelled a couple of words. On a scale of one to 10, with 10 being the best, I would rate this at about a seven.

Thanks a lot!!! You are so helpful I don't know how to express my gratitude! I mean you have paid serious attention to any detail in my essay and I appreciate that. However i'm still confused when you say I'm stuck in my century?? Is it the environment that affects my view?
And what if I want to keep the idea of the world "in this day and age" but not using them? How can I adjust my sentence?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When are you going to submit this essay to your teacher/tutor?

tuankhukhi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Well this is just my practice essay, I don't have to submit it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.