Good Youtube videos for slow, easy English listening skill practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cacille

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
South Korea
Hi everyone. This is my first post here, although I've used this website for idioms for my students for the past few years. I love this website for a resource.

On Youtube, I watched so many videos of people teaching English, but so many of them were the same.
Fast speech, writing on whiteboard video, just like being back in middle school or high school. My students, middle school boys in Korea, can't understand fast spoken English quite yet. I speak really slowly for them and it works very well. However, there seems to be nothing on youtube that's slow, easy English, with at least a little bit of fun to it! Do you know of any? Seriously, type "slow easy english" into youtube and you'll get only one guy's youtube name showing up. He's decently slow (not slow enough for my liking though) but just another boring English teaching series, whiteboard and all.
I know my students would hate watching those videos and need something fun to practice their listening (and speaking) skill.

So I recently took matters into my own hands. Having gotten into Minecraft thanks to my students, I started a Minecraft "Let's Play" series called Easy Minecraft ESL English. While I play the game in the background, I speak slowly and use easier English obviously, and have webcam in the video so people can see my mouth movements, mannerisms, some gestures, etc. I also have optional subtitles that people can turn on and off.
I'm still new at it and make mistakes as my brain hasn't quite gotten the hang of thinking before I speak yet, in terms of using easier English than I would normally say with native speakers. I've got about 13 videos up so far and am trying for 2-3 videos a week.

While Minecraft is a fun game for younger kids, it is at least more interesting for adults as well who don't like the whiteboard method. As I get better, I intend to talk about news stories, funny stories (I'm naturally a more serious person so that's a bit harder for me) while playing, and even do multiplayer videos with my students or others! People who watch can practice their listening skill, and their speaking skill too if they wish to repeat my words or pretend to have conversations with me or whatever they feel like works for them.
To find the videos, just type in "Easy Minecraft English" into Youtube and my Youtube name is Cacille.

Cacille

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
South Korea
Just in case people want more of a direct link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxcR6F0O0sg
If it's not cool to post links here, let me know and I'll remove it.
I just found a fix for my sound problem so it sounds a lot better in this video! Hope this helps people with listening skill practice!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The link's OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.