Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Sindhi
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
http://quizmoz.com/quizzes/SAT-Prac...tice-Test-Sentence-Correction-Tense-Error.asp

2. In the English class, I sit next to Paul, who is the captain of the football team and decidedly the best football player in New England.
a. I sit next to Paul, who is the captain
b. I sat next to Paul, who is the captain
c. I used to sit besides Paul who is the captain
d. I sit next to Paul, and he was the captain
e. I sat besides Paul, who is the captain

The correct answer is A. However, I am torn between the choices A and B! Why is B incorrect?

7. A doctor at the City Clinic in New York claims that if women gave up smoking and eat a healthy diet, their children would be less likely to develop lung diseases.
a. claims that if women gave up smoking
b. claims that if women give up smoking
c. claimed that when a woman gives up smoking
d. claims that if a women gives up smoking
e. claimed that when women gave up smoking

The correct answer is B. I realize that the word eat is in present tense so give is a more apt choice. I am still a bit confused because I perceived the sentence as a conditional. Whenever 'would' is used, the if clause is in simple past, right? If will is used then the if clause should be in simple present. Hence, shouldn't the sentence be "A doctor at the City Clinic in New York claims that if women give up smoking and eat a healthy diet, their children 'will' be less likely to develop lung diseases."

Thank you! I really appreciate the help! :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If women gave up smoking and ate a healthy diet, their children would be less likely ...
If women give up smoking and eat a healthy diet, their children will be less likely ...

The original sentence is wrong and none of the 5 choices result in a correct sentence.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I clicked through to the test and have reported 3 of the 10 questions because of issues with either the original sentence or the answer options.

Status
Not open for further replies.